Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Mikhail Tsaplin <ts...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/10 18:13:09 UTC

Handling quorum writies fails

Hi.

According to Datastax documentation about atomicity in Cassandra: QUORUM
write succeeded only on one node will not be rolled back (Check Atomicity
chapter there:
http://www.datastax.com/documentation/cassandra/1.2/webhelp/index.html#cassandra/dml/dml_about_transactions_c.html).
So when I am performing a QUORUM write on cluster with RF=3 and one node
fails, I will get write error status and one successful write on another
node. This produces two cases:

   1. write will be propagated to other nodes when they became online;
   2. write can be completely lost if the node accepted that write will be
   completely broken before propagation.

What is the best ways to deal with such kind of fails in let say
hypothetical funds transfer logging?