Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/05 10:21:42 UTC

Questions about 4.2 RC

Hi,

I followed the testing procedure for the 4.2 RC, I am ready to vote +1 but I have questions (hence the new thread, don't want to hijack the VOTE).

1. the CHANGES file points to the release notes, but where are the release notes ? I know that no-one really stepped up on the RN but can't we at a minimum do a JIRA query that lists the bugs fixed in 4.2 and the new features ?

2. Under infrastructure when I view the DevCloud Zone, I get this in the log:
WARN  [cloud.api.ApiServer] (642225853@qtp-111037821-10:) Unknown API command: listVmwareDcs
This is not a deal breaker but why is our UI calling a non-implemented API ? This sounds like introducing known issues. If it's not implemented yet, remove it.

3. Under instances, the new tooltip shows a 'vm snapshot' icon. When you use it, it snapshots but the snapshot is not shown under storage>view snapshots ? Instead you see the snapshot under the instance view. Proceeding to destroy the instance will destroy the snapshot, or at a minimum we don't have access to it via the UI. It seems to be the difference between listVMSnapshot and listSnapshots.

-Sebastien

RE: Questions about 4.2 RC - Unknown API command: listVmwareDcs

Posted by Jessica Wang <Je...@citrix.com>.
Sebastien,

>> [Sebastien] 2. Under infrastructure when I view the DevCloud Zone, I get this in the log:
>> WARN  [cloud.api.ApiServer] (642225853@qtp-111037821-10:) Unknown API
>> command: listVmwareDcs This is not a deal breaker but why is our UI calling a
>> non-implemented API ? This sounds like introducing known issues. If it's not
>> implemented yet, remove it.

> [Edison] The command is only available in non-oss build, but is still listed in command.properties, as there is no separate file for commands non-oss build.

There is no way for UI to tell it's oss build or non-oss build.
However, I just checked in an UI enhancement to skip calling listVmwareDcs API if a zone doesn't have any VMware cluster(s).

Jessica

> I followed the testing procedure for the 4.2 RC, I am ready to vote +1 but I
> have questions (hence the new thread, don't want to hijack the VOTE).
>
> 1. the CHANGES file points to the release notes, but where are the release
> notes ? I know that no-one really stepped up on the RN but can't we at a
> minimum do a JIRA query that lists the bugs fixed in 4.2 and the new
> features ?
>
> 2. Under infrastructure when I view the DevCloud Zone, I get this in the log:
> WARN  [cloud.api.ApiServer] (642225853@qtp-111037821-10:) Unknown API
> command: listVmwareDcs This is not a deal breaker but why is our UI calling a
> non-implemented API ? This sounds like introducing known issues. If it's not
> implemented yet, remove it.

The command is only available in non-oss build, but is still listed in command.properties, as there is no separate file for commands non-oss build.

> 3. Under instances, the new tooltip shows a 'vm snapshot' icon. When you
> use it, it snapshots but the snapshot is not shown under storage>view
> snapshots ? Instead you see the snapshot under the instance view.
> Proceeding to destroy the instance will destroy the snapshot, or at a
> minimum we don't have access to it via the UI. It seems to be the difference
> between listVMSnapshot and listSnapshots.

It's by design, the vm snapshot is listed under vm->vm snapshot view, while the volume snapshot listed under storage->snapshot view.

RE: Questions about 4.2 RC - listVmwareDcs API - Here's the discovery API

Posted by Jessica Wang <Je...@citrix.com>.
Chip,

I just tested listApis and it worked!  ^_^

Yes, this is enough and I'll change UI to use listApis to determine whether to call listVmwareDcs API in zone detail page.

Thanks!

Jessica

Posted by Jessica Wang <Je...@citrix.com>.
Chip,

The downside of using listApis to detect whether an API command is being exposed is that an error will appear in the log (not on UI)

/client/api?command=listApis&name=listVmwareDcs

{
    "listapisresponse": {
        "uuidList": [],
        "errorcode": 530,
        "cserrorcode": 9999,
        "errortext": "Api Discovery plugin was unable to find an api by that name or process any apis"
    }
}

Jessica

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Jessica Wang <Je...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 06:30:52PM +0000, Jessica Wang wrote:
> > This API is called by UI to implement toggle effect for icon "Add/Remove VMware Datacenter".
>
> [Jesisca] No, listVmwareDcs API was called by UI to get VMware DataCenter info to display in zone detail page (which has 3 fields: "VMware dataCenter Name", "VMware dataCenter vcenter", "VMware dataCenter Id"), NOT to toggle effect for icon "Add/Remove VMware Datacenter".
>

> > [Chip] Shouldn't we consider making the UI respond appropriately to a missing API
> > (i.e.: don't show that feature if the API response to that call is an error saying that the API call doesn't exist)?
>
> [Jessica] There is no way for UI to know whether an API command is missing or not before calling it.
> After calling an API command, if API returns error "Unknown API command", UI will suppress the error message (i.e. UI will not pop up a dialog showing "Unknown API command").
> The error "Unknown API command" was seen in the log, NOT on UI.
> However, I just checked in an UI enhancement to skip calling listVmwareDcs API if a zone doesn't have any VMware cluster(s).

Sounds like a good workaround.

Perhaps a future enhancement would be to use the discovery service to
figure out what API's are being exposed by the specific management
server, and adjust the UI accordingly.

-chip

RE: Questions about 4.2 RC - listVmwareDcs API

Posted by Jessica Wang <Je...@citrix.com>.

Re: Questions about 4.2 RC

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

RE: Questions about 4.2 RC

Posted by Sateesh Chodapuneedi <sa...@citrix.com>.

RE: Questions about 4.2 RC

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Yes, preferably we skip the initial template copy altogether and go
straight to the clone with the template info and new destination disk.

Sorry, shouldn't have hijacked the thread :)

RE: Questions about 4.2 RC

Posted by Edison Su <Ed...@citrix.com>.

Re: Questions about 4.2 RC

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

RE: Questions about 4.2 RC

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Re: Questions about 4.2 RC - internal-load-balancing-between-vpc-tiers (2)

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
I didn't have it. I ran across it this afternoon, but wasn't sure if
it did all of the proper setup or if it was the equivalent of enabling
the provider (which as mentioned wasn't enough when I tried manually).
Thanks for confirming, I'll commit it.

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.

--
Prasanna.,

------------------------
Powered by BigRock.com

Re: Questions about 4.2 RC - internal-load-balancing-between-vpc-tiers (2)

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.
So this look right to you?

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jessica Wang <Je...@citrix.com>.
Marcus,

Posted by Jessica Wang <Je...@citrix.com>.
Marcus,

Re: Questions about 4.2 RC

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

RE: Questions about 4.2 RC

Posted by Edison Su <Ed...@citrix.com>.

RE: Questions about 4.2 RC

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

> Hi,
>
> I followed the testing procedure for the 4.2 RC, I am ready to vote +1 but I have questions (hence the new thread, don't want to hijack the VOTE).
>
> 1. the CHANGES file points to the release notes, but where are the release notes ? I know that no-one really stepped up on the RN but can't we at a minimum do a JIRA query that lists the bugs fixed in 4.2 and the new features ?

I suggested this and got no answers, meaning +1 on this one.

Animesh> Yes that is the plan

Re: Questions about 4.2 RC

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 10:21 AM, sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I followed the testing procedure for the 4.2 RC, I am ready to vote +1 but I have questions (hence the new thread, don't want to hijack the VOTE).
>
> 1. the CHANGES file points to the release notes, but where are the release notes ? I know that no-one really stepped up on the RN but can't we at a minimum do a JIRA query that lists the bugs fixed in 4.2 and the new features ?

I suggested this and got no answers, meaning +1 on this one.

> 2. Under infrastructure when I view the DevCloud Zone, I get this in the log:
> WARN  [cloud.api.ApiServer] (642225853@qtp-111037821-10:) Unknown API command: listVmwareDcs
> This is not a deal breaker but why is our UI calling a non-implemented API ? This sounds like introducing known issues. If it's not implemented yet, remove it.

Is this due to nonoss remnants? it sounds like it (*Vmware*)