Posted to users@opennlp.apache.org by nikhil jain <ni...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2014/11/17 19:32:38 UTC

Need to speed up the model creation process of OpenNLP

Hi,
I am using OpenNLP Token Name Finder for parsing the unstructured data. I have created a corpus of about 4 million records. When I am creating a model out of the training set using openNLP API's in Eclipse using default setting (cut-off 5 and iterations 100), process is taking a good amount of time, around 2-3 hours.
Can someone suggest me how can I reduce the time as I want to experiment with different iterations but as the model creation process is taking so much time, I am not able to experiment with it. This is really a time consuming process.
Please provide some feedback.
Thanks in advance.Nikhil Jain

Re: Need to speed up the model creation process of OpenNLP

Posted by Joern Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
The runtime almost scales with the number of cores your
CPU you have. If you have a 4 core CPU you might come down
from 3 hours to 1 hour.

To enabled it you need to train with the -params argument and provide
a config file for the learner. There are samples shipped with OpenNLP.

Jörn

Posted by nikhil jain <ni...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi Rodrigo,

Posted by nikhil jain <ni...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi Rodrigo,

Posted by Rodrigo Agerri <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Rodrigo Agerri <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Samik Raychaudhuri <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nikhil,
I did a bit of research in #2 and it doesn't look good. You are probably
better off doing #1 along with whatever speed-ups you can achieve
through parallelism. Regarding your question in #1, I am not aware of
CLI/API in openNLP to do that (that doesn't necessarily mean it is not
there) - other members might be able to help you there.
Hope this helps.
Best,
-Samik

Posted by nikhil jain <ni...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
#2 Every time when I add some records or class in my corpus, I need to train it from scratch.So, I don't think so there is a way to retrain the model again.
ThanksNikhil

#2: Here the approach is somewhat different. If you have specific

#2: Here the approach is somewhat different. If you have specific

Posted by Samik Raychaudhuri <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by nikhil jain <ni...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi,