Posted to dev@iceberg.apache.org by Kristopher Kane <kk...@etsy.com.INVALID> on 2020/01/29 15:32:28 UTC

Hive Metastore integration future

Hi Iceberg.

It looks like for most cases where non-atomic rename is required, using the
Hive metastore is the baseline with the ability to implement a custom.

I couldn't find mailing list history or GitHub issue that suggests that
Iceberg will implement its own. Is that intended for the future?

I ask because Iceberg's metastore version pin is 1.2.1 which is very old.
Someone using Iceberg, with a Hive metastore, mind find difficult moving
maintaining peace in upgrades with Hive.

Related:  Is the intention here that existing Hive users would use the
store that they have and new Iceberg users would implement custom?

Appreciate help in understanding,

Kris

Re: Hive Metastore integration future

Posted by Mass Dosage <ma...@gmail.com>.
Regarding the Hive versions... from what I've seen over on the Hive mailing
lists it sounds like Spark 3.0 will be targeting Hive 2.3.x based on
whether they can get the Hive community to do a new point release of Hive
before they finalise Spark 3.0. So hopefully that gets sorted in time and
then Iceberg can move to Spark 3 and then using Hive 2.3 should be easier.

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: Hive Metastore integration future

Posted by Kristopher Kane <kk...@etsy.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Kristopher Kane <kk...@etsy.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Mass Dosage <ma...@gmail.com>.
On the topic of Hive versions - we've definitely experienced some issues
trying to programmatically use the iceberg-spark-runtime artifact in unit
tests (it uses Hive 1.2 as mentioned above). We then tried to also use some
other common HIve testing libraries like HiveRunner
<https://github.com/klarna/HiveRunner/> and BeeJU
<https://github.com/HotelsDotCom/beeju> which in turn use Hive 2.3. We then
ended up with exceptions (e.g. "Method not found") due to incompatibilities
between the Hive library classes and had to abandon the testing libraries.
I can share these exceptions if that would be useful but I'd imagine that

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.
Hi Kris,

--
Ryan Blue