Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bill <po...@bak.rr.com> on 2005/06/06 22:01:06 UTC

Branch and Switch question

Windows XP, FSFS, SVN 1.2.0, TSVN 1.2.0, single-user, local repository

Hello all,

I've been reading with interest the recent discussions on branching and read
the SVN and TSVN docs several times, but something isn't working as
expected.

I created a test repository at c:\_subversion\repos and a "code" directory
at c:\_subversion\code.  Under that I have \trunk and \branches, and
\branches has \client under it to represent a client branch.

I added three files to \trunk, index.jsp, login.jsp and header.jsp.  They
don't mean anything other than they are representative files.  This was all
committed as revision 1.

Then using either TSVN "Branch/Tag" or "svn copy trunk branches/client" when
in the c:\_subversion directory, I get a trunk folder under
c:\_subversion\branches\client.
     Output:
     C:\_Subversion\Code>svn copy trunk branches/client
     A         branches\client\trunk

In following the examples from both the SVN book and the TSVN help files, I
expected not to have the \trunk folder under \client, instead I expected to
see the three files in \client, index.jsp, login.jsp and header.jsp.

Did I do something wrong or understand the books wrong?

Thanks a million,

Bill

Re: Branch and Switch question

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Bill wrote:
> Windows XP, FSFS, SVN 1.2.0, TSVN 1.2.0, single-user, local repository
>
> Hello all,
>
> I've been reading with interest the recent discussions on branching and
> read
> the SVN and TSVN docs several times, but something isn't working as
> expected.
>
> I created a test repository at c:\_subversion\repos and a "code" directory
> at c:\_subversion\code.  Under that I have \trunk and \branches, and
> \branches has \client under it to represent a client branch.
>
> I added three files to \trunk, index.jsp, login.jsp and header.jsp.  They
> don't mean anything other than they are representative files.  This was
> all
> committed as revision 1.
>
> Then using either TSVN "Branch/Tag" or "svn copy trunk branches/client"
> when
> in the c:\_subversion directory, I get a trunk folder under
> c:\_subversion\branches\client.
>     Output:
>     C:\_Subversion\Code>svn copy trunk branches/client
>     A         branches\client\trunk
>
> In following the examples from both the SVN book and the TSVN help files,
> expected not to have the \trunk folder under \client, instead I expected
> see the three files in \client, index.jsp, login.jsp and header.jsp.
>
> Did I do something wrong or understand the books wrong?

Don't create "client" ahead of time.

Copy to non-existent path = copy to there
Copy to existing directory = copy to *inside* that directory.

Max.