Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Florin Gherendi <fl...@yahoo.fr> on 2005/06/15 15:54:37 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_disk_cache and local files updating

I am using apache 2.0.53 with apache 1.3.33 in Perl proxied mode on a
Linux Mandrake 9.2/ dual Xeon server.
Apache 2 was compiled as RPM (I backported it from Mandriva 10.2) with
mod_cache and mod_disk_cache enabled and installed.
It works fine, but sometimes, for some vhosts, updating (replacing) a
html file doesn't result in file appearing changed on http access, even
if this access is performed from the server that hosts the site. If this
happens and I erase the cache root (/var/cache/httpd in my case)
contents, the new file is finally seen by apache.

This only happens on heavy traffic and not for all vhosts on the server;
it seems that it happens more probably on files edited under Windows
(but I am not very sure of that, because this behavior seems quite
random; I can have weeks/months without this happening).

I don't know very well the site structure on the vhost where the problem
was reported, it's some user's site, but I don't think the cause would
be a html error.
I think the problem is rather related to mod_disk_cache but I don't know
why it happens. Anybody could give me a clue?
Thanks
Florin

Re: [users@httpd] No services Installed

Posted by Emmanuel E <em...@gmx.net>.
I think you havent selected the install as service option while running the
installer.

You could do two things to rectify it.

1) Back up your configuration files. These will be found in the directory
named "conf" wherever youve installed Apache. Uninstall apache from the
control panel. Run the installer again. This time in the installer choose
"For all users" and "install as a service on port 80" (I dont remember the
exact options on the installer but its similar to something like i've
mentioned.) After the install is successful you should be able to start and
stop apache from the icon in the system tray.

2) For a less laborious method open a command prompt. Change directory to
the "bin" directory within the directory wherever Apache has been installed.
In the command prompt type "apache -k install". After this you should be
able to start and stop Apache from the icon in the system tray.

Hope this works,
Emmanuel

Posted by Dana Marshall <we...@danawheels.net>.

Re: [users@httpd] mod_disk_cache and local files updating

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 6/15/05, Florin Gherendi <fl...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> I am using apache 2.0.53 with apache 1.3.33 in Perl proxied mode on a
> Linux Mandrake 9.2/ dual Xeon server.
> Apache 2 was compiled as RPM (I backported it from Mandriva 10.2) with
> mod_cache and mod_disk_cache enabled and installed.
> It works fine, but sometimes, for some vhosts, updating (replacing) a
> html file doesn't result in file appearing changed on http access, even
> if this access is performed from the server that hosts the site. If this
> happens and I erase the cache root (/var/cache/httpd in my case)
> contents, the new file is finally seen by apache.
>
> This only happens on heavy traffic and not for all vhosts on the server;
> it seems that it happens more probably on files edited under Windows
> (but I am not very sure of that, because this behavior seems quite
> random; I can have weeks/months without this happening).
>
> I don't know very well the site structure on the vhost where the problem
> was reported, it's some user's site, but I don't think the cause would
> be a html error.
> I think the problem is rather related to mod_disk_cache but I don't know
> why it happens. Anybody could give me a clue?

mod_cache/mod_disk_cache use standard HTTP caching rules to determine
when to check for updates.  In general, there is no way for the cache
to know when a file has been updated.  It will only do freshness
checks according to the information it has in the Cache-control,
Expires, and Last-Modified headers.  So if you want the freshness
checked more often, you need to modify those headers on the content.

Joshua.