Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by John Girvin <jo...@osarius.com> on 2002/02/01 11:21:01 UTC

apache-win32 problems?

Is there anywhere that gives details of the particular
problems or restrictions that apache might experience
when running on NT or 2000? All I can find are vague
references to "stability" and "performance" being less
than UNIX variants, but nothing detailing WHY this might
be so.

Thanks,
/John

RE: apache-win32 problems?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: John Girvin [mailto:john.girvin@osarius.com]

> > It's not so much to do with apache itself but rather that all Windows
> > OSes are intrinsically less stable and less performant than a unix OS
> > running on the same hardware.
>
> So you trust apache-win32 as much as you trust win32 then?
> Thoughts featuring "chains" and "weakest links" cross my mind...
>
> Are there any figures that compare apache-win32 to IIS?
> That was something else I failed to find. Basically we're
> having performance problems with IIS on one of our NT boxes
> and one solution being investigated is relacing it with
> apache-win32. The OS has to remain NT for various reasons :-/

I don't think anyone will claim that apache 1.3 is faster than a recent
version of IIS on win32.  Apache may be more secure, more reliable, more
featureful, etc, but it will not be faster except in very special
circumstances.  Now, apache 2.0 on win32 (still in beta) should be much
faster than apache 1.3, but I don't know of any comparisons with IIS.

Joshua.

RE: apache-win32 problems?

Posted by John Girvin <jo...@osarius.com>.

Re: apache-win32 problems?

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
John Girvin wrote:

> Is there anywhere that gives details of the particular
> problems or restrictions that apache might experience
> when running on NT or 2000? All I can find are vague
> references to "stability" and "performance" being less
> than UNIX variants, but nothing detailing WHY this might
> be so.

It's not so much to do with apache itself but rather that all Windows
OSes are intrinsically less stable and less performant than a unix OS
running on the same hardware. The same statement would be true for any
server process (named, ftp, mail etc..)

As to why this is so, you'd have to look into the windows source code
:-)

rgds,

owen Boyle.