Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Kishanthan Thangarajah <ks...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/10 05:37:08 UTC

Stratos on Kubernetes

Hi Devs,

I was trying out the steps provided in :
https://gist.github.com/imesh/b8f81fac8de39183a504

I couldn't get the vagrant up and running with minions which fails with the
error at the bottom.

I assume node-01 here is one of the minion. From the logs, I think the
master node is correctly configured, even with the version constraint. But
the node-01 had failed on the version constraint while adding the core-os.
Is this a known issue? Do I have to change/remove the version constraint in
some config file?

kubernetes-vagrant-setup kishanthan$ vagrant up

Bringing machine 'master' up with 'virtualbox' provider...

Bringing machine 'node-01' up with 'virtualbox' provider...

Bringing machine 'node-02' up with 'virtualbox' provider...

*==> master: Running triggers before up...*

*==> master: Setting Kubernetes version 0.18.0*

*==> master: Configuring Kubernetes cluster DNS...*

*==> master: Box 'coreos-alpha' could not be found. Attempting to find and
install...*

    master: Box Provider: virtualbox

    master: Box Version: >= 738.1.0

*==> master: Loading metadata for box
'http://alpha.release.core-os.net/amd64-usr/current/coreos_production_vagrant.json
<http://alpha.release.core-os.net/amd64-usr/current/coreos_production_vagrant.json>'*

    master: URL:
http://alpha.release.core-os.net/amd64-usr/current/coreos_production_vagrant.json

*==> master: Adding box 'coreos-alpha' (v738.1.0) for provider: virtualbox*

    master: Downloading:
http://alpha.release.core-os.net/amd64-usr/738.1.0/coreos_production_vagrant.box

    master: Calculating and comparing box checksum...

*==> master: Successfully added box 'coreos-alpha' (v738.1.0) for
'virtualbox'!*

*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

*==> master: Waiting for Kubernetes master to become ready...*

The connection to the server localhost:8080 was refused - did you specify
the right host or port?

The connection to the server localhost:8080 was refused - did you specify
the right host or port?

*==> node-01: Box 'coreos-alpha' could not be found. Attempting to find and
install...*

    node-01: Box Provider: virtualbox

    node-01: Box Version: >= 738.1.0

You specified a box version constraint with a direct box file

path. Box version constraints only work with boxes from Vagrant

Cloud or a custom box host. Please remove the version constraint

and try again.

Re: Stratos on Kubernetes

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.
Hi Kishanthan,

On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Kishanthan Thangarajah <
kshanth2101@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Akila and Imesh.
>
> After updating, I actually redid the kubernetes setup again. Now I could
> see that all three nodes are started properly in the vbox. I also could
> deploy the php cartridge app using startos on kubernetes successfully.
>
> Great! Really nice to hear that!

> Few things I noticed while trying out this.
>
> 1. When the sample app was deployed on stratos, some times the deployment
> ended up with the following error. Looks like a similar issue was already
> reported in : http://markmail.org/message/geuinnqjameg7c5f. But I had the
> docker image downloaded on both minions. I'm not quite sure on why this was
> popping up a few times. Could this be due to network issue or delay is
> starting the container?

Yes I have also noticed this few times when running locally, may be it's
something to do with Kubernetes. The only possible reason I can think of
for this is the availability of the Docker image. With my experience it's
much stable when running Kubernetes on EC2 (or may be any other environment
with higher physical resources).

> 2. If the app is undeployed, shouldn't the containers ("php" service in
> this case) also be stopped / removed from the minions? Noticed that the
> containers were still up and running when app was undeployed.
>
> Yes this is the expected behaviour. May be you could share the logs so
that we could investigate whether there is an issue.

> 3. Observed the following error sometimes during app undeployment using
> the script file. Due to this, the app could not be deployed again. This was
> only the app deployed on stratos at this time. Saw a similar issue reported
> with STRATOS-1281.
>

> Yes, this could occur due to the time it takes to remove the containers
and undeploy the application completely. We have implemented the
undeploy.sh script to automate this process with few sleep commands. You
could try to execute the un-deployment process manually via the UI and
remove the artifacts.

Thanks

--
Imesh Gunaratne

Senior Technical Lead, WSO2
Committer & PMC Member, Apache Stratos

Re: Stratos on Kubernetes

Posted by Kishanthan Thangarajah <ks...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Akila and Imesh.

After updating, I actually redid the kubernetes setup again. Now I could
see that all three nodes are started properly in the vbox. I also could
deploy the php cartridge app using startos on kubernetes successfully.

Few things I noticed while trying out this.

1. When the sample app was deployed on stratos, some times the deployment
ended up with the following error. Looks like a similar issue was already
reported in : http://markmail.org/message/geuinnqjameg7c5f. But I had the
docker image downloaded on both minions. I'm not quite sure on why this was
popping up a few times. Could this be due to network issue or delay is
starting the container?

TID: [0] [STRATOS] [2015-07-11 23:15:18,006]  INFO
{org.apache.stratos.cloud.controller.iaases.kubernetes.KubernetesIaas} -
Waiting pod status to be changed to running: [application]
single-cartridge-app [cartridge] php [member]
single-cartridge-app.my-php.php.domain91f5d7e0-6ce0-45eb-9e83-ab40d32d63eb
[pod] pod-1

TID: [0] [STRATOS] [2015-07-11 23:15:18,006] ERROR
{org.apache.stratos.cloud.controller.iaases.kubernetes.KubernetesIaas} -
Pod status did not change to running within 60 sec: [application]
single-cartridge-app [cartridge] php [member]
single-cartridge-app.my-php.php.domain91f5d7e0-6ce0-45eb-9e83-ab40d32d63eb
[pod] pod-1

TID: [0] [STRATOS] [2015-07-11 23:15:18,007] ERROR
{org.apache.stratos.cloud.controller.iaases.kubernetes.KubernetesIaas} -
Could not start container: [application] single-cartridge-app [cartridge]
php [member]
single-cartridge-app.my-php.php.domain91f5d7e0-6ce0-45eb-9e83-ab40d32d63eb

java.lang.RuntimeException: Pod status did not change to running within 60
sec: [application] single-cartridge-app [cartridge] php [member]
single-cartridge-app.my-php.php.domain91f5d7e0-6ce0-45eb-9e83-ab40d32d63eb
[pod] pod-1

at
org.apache.stratos.cloud.controller.iaases.kubernetes.KubernetesIaas.waitForPodToBeActivated(KubernetesIaas.java:341)

at
org.apache.stratos.cloud.controller.iaases.kubernetes.KubernetesIaas.startContainer(KubernetesIaas.java:226)

at
org.apache.stratos.cloud.controller.iaases.kubernetes.KubernetesIaas.startInstance(KubernetesIaas.java:125)

at
org.apache.stratos.cloud.controller.services.impl.InstanceCreator.startInstance(InstanceCreator.java:109)

at
org.apache.stratos.cloud.controller.services.impl.InstanceCreator.run(InstanceCreator.java:68)

at

at

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

2. If the app is undeployed, shouldn't the containers ("php" service in
this case) also be stopped / removed from the minions? Noticed that the
containers were still up and running when app was undeployed.

3. Observed the following error sometimes during app undeployment using the
script file. Due to this, the app could not be deployed again. This was
only the app deployed on stratos at this time. Saw a similar issue reported
with STRATOS-1281.

TID: [0] [STRATOS] [2015-07-12 01:53:18,956] ERROR
{org.apache.stratos.rest.endpoint.api.StratosApiV41Utils} -  Cannot remove
cartridge : [cartridge-type] php since it is used in another cartridge
group or an application

TID: [0] [STRATOS] [2015-07-12 01:53:18,958] ERROR
{org.apache.stratos.rest.endpoint.handlers.CustomExceptionMapper} -  Cannot
remove cartridge : [cartridge-type] php since it is used in another
cartridge group or an application

org.apache.stratos.rest.endpoint.exception.RestAPIException: Cannot remove
cartridge : [cartridge-type] php since it is used in another cartridge
group or an application

at
org.apache.stratos.rest.endpoint.api.StratosApiV41Utils.removeCartridge(StratosApiV41Utils.java:248)

at
org.apache.stratos.rest.endpoint.api.StratosApiV41.removeCartridge(StratosApiV41.java:431)

at

at

at
org.apache.cxf.service.invoker.AbstractInvoker.performInvocation(AbstractInvoker.java:180)

Re: Stratos on Kubernetes

Posted by Akila Ravihansa Perera <ra...@wso2.com>.
Adding one more point to it.

Re: Stratos on Kubernetes