Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Philip Wilkinson <wi...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/16 14:04:19 UTC

Tapestry 5 on tomcat

Hi, can I just ask if there are any efforts to resolve the class loading
difficulty tapestry 5 has with tomcat, before Tapestry 5 becomes final.
(see deployment notes here  http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tomcat.html
http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tomcat.html   and HLS blog entry here
http://tapestryjava.blogspot.com/2007/02/fighting-with-tomcat.html
http://tapestryjava.blogspot.com/2007/02/fighting-with-tomcat.html )
As I understand the current solution is to use maven to package up the web
app into a jar and put it in the WEB-INF/lib. Is this going to be the final
solution?

I would prefer not to have use and learn maven - which looks like I'd have
to learn ruby, or even ant, to develop with Tapestry 5. Ideally I'd like to
use tapestry 5 with tomcat, out-of-the-box, and keep it simple.
I'd also be happy to accept losing the case-insensitivity of page\class
names, if this is the feature which causes this problem with tomcat.

Thanks,
Philip Wilkinson.

Re: Tapestry 5 on tomcat

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 16, 2008 5:04 AM, Philip Wilkinson <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, can I just ask if there are any efforts to resolve the class loading
> difficulty tapestry 5 has with tomcat, before Tapestry 5 becomes final.
> (see deployment notes here  http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tomcat.html
> http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tomcat.html   and HLS blog entry here
> http://tapestryjava.blogspot.com/2007/02/fighting-with-tomcat.html
> http://tapestryjava.blogspot.com/2007/02/fighting-with-tomcat.html )
> As I understand the current solution is to use maven to package up the web
> app into a jar and put it in the WEB-INF/lib. Is this going to be the final
> solution?

Maven makes it easy to do, but you can absolutely accomplish the same
thing with Ant.

> I would prefer not to have use and learn maven - which looks like I'd have
> to learn ruby, or even ant, to develop with Tapestry 5. Ideally I'd like to
> use tapestry 5 with tomcat, out-of-the-box, and keep it simple.
> I'd also be happy to accept losing the case-insensitivity of page\class
> names, if this is the feature which causes this problem with tomcat.

It's not just insensitivity, its about being able to recognize which
URLs are page oriented and which are not.

I'm at an impasse with the Tomcat people.  This behavior falls well
outside the servlet specification, it's just common sense that works
well in Jetty.  Chalk one up from Greg.

> Thanks,
> Philip Wilkinson.

Howard M. Lewis Ship