Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/02 10:58:23 UTC

[DISCUCSS] - Apache Camel 5.9 release

Hi

We are closing down on a new Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.0 release.

In the JIRA tracker we have 19 open tickets against this release
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20AMQ%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%225.9.0%22%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved

I just wanted to get a thread started on @dev so we could get focused
on resolving the remainder issues and get the code into shape for a
release in not so far distant.

There is possible some things to discuss/consider

- Is the new leveldb stable and good as default replacement for
kahadb. I am just asking because I got the impression that would be
the intention to have leveldb replace kahadb in the future
- Can we use hawtio 1.2M release or should we ask them to cut a 1.2 GA release
- any pending documentation missing?
- could anyone write up a summary of the new and noteworthy of this
release. At Camel we write this during development, but at AMQ it
seems like a last minute thing, and that possible let us forget some
cool stuff. Maybe we should get on the habit and do like Camel and
work on a release notes page during development
- Any other stuff ?

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: [DISCUCSS] - Apache Camel 5.9 release

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
All of the leveldb tests work with the java library so we are good to
go, but if folks have native libs and want to use them they can. So
the jni bits need to be optional in osgi.

--
http://redhat.com
http://blog.garytully.com

Re: [DISCUCSS] - Apache Camel 5.9 release

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.

http://redhat.com
http://blog.garytully.com

Re: [DISCUCSS] - Apache Camel 5.9 release

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Yeah apologies for having Camel in the thread of this post. I guess
environmental hazard.

We got a bunch of the easy tickets resolved / moved to next release so
we are down to 4 unresolved now:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20AMQ%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%225.9.0%22%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved

I got in touch with hawtio team and they can cut a new 1.2M release
quickly when we are more ready to cut our RC.

And Jean's patch is still to be looked at. Need to get in touch with
Hiram about the leveldb jndi native vs java library. We could maybe
rely on the java library in this release?

Also there is some more notes to add to the readme for the web-console
which I will do. To make notes about the security and how you can
change the credentials.

Also if anyone got an idea how we can on starting AMQ log at INFO
level a link to the homepage of the web console, eg
http://localhost:8161

eg we could hardcode the link, but people could change the port from
8161 to something different. So would be nice if we could grab the
port number and log the correct link.

This will allow new users to AMQ to spot this and see we have a UI for
AMQ. As many dont know about that when they get into AMQ.

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> We are closing down on a new Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.0 release.
>
> In the JIRA tracker we have 19 open tickets against this release
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20AMQ%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%225.9.0%22%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved
>
> I just wanted to get a thread started on @dev so we could get focused
> on resolving the remainder issues and get the code into shape for a
> release in not so far distant.
>
> There is possible some things to discuss/consider
>
> - Is the new leveldb stable and good as default replacement for
> kahadb. I am just asking because I got the impression that would be
> the intention to have leveldb replace kahadb in the future
> - Can we use hawtio 1.2M release or should we ask them to cut a 1.2 GA release
> - any pending documentation missing?
> - could anyone write up a summary of the new and noteworthy of this
> release. At Camel we write this during development, but at AMQ it
> seems like a last minute thing, and that possible let us forget some
> cool stuff. Maybe we should get on the habit and do like Camel and
> work on a release notes page during development
> - Any other stuff ?
>

> --
> Claus Ibsen
> -----------------
> Red Hat, Inc.
> Email: cibsen@redhat.com
> Twitter: davsclaus
> Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Claus,

just a quick note, the subject should be Apache ActiveMQ 5.9 release
(and not Camel ;)).

Anyway, agree to move forward to 5.9.

I will review the open tickets on my side.

Regarding the points to discuss:
- I would prefer to keep kahadb by default and set leveldb as optional
(even if I didn't have issues with leveldb so far)
- I think hawtio 1.2M is fine
- the documentation and release summary should be reviewed, indeed. I
can help on that. I'm not sure we have a Jira about that.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUCSS] - Apache Camel 5.9 release

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 10/11/2013 09:20 AM, Robert Davies wrote:
> Go for it - getting no where with the intermittent mqtt failing test at the moment
>
> On 11 Oct 2013, at 14:18, Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't think any of the remaining issues are blockers.
>> Am going to kick off an RC, unless anyone else wants to, shout quickly.
>>
>> On 10 October 2013 15:40, Robert Davies <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm looking at AMQ-4712 - can only reproduce it sporadically atm

>> --
>> http://redhat.com
>> http://blog.garytully.com

+1

--
Tim Bish
Sr Software Engineer | RedHat Inc.

Re: [DISCUCSS] - Apache Camel 5.9 release

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Yep go for it!

--
Hiram Chirino

Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.

hchirino@redhat.com | fusesource.com | redhat.com

blog: Hiram Chirino's Bit Mojo

Re: [DISCUCSS] - Apache Camel 5.9 release

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.
+1

Regards
--
Dejan Bosanac
----------------------

Posted by Robert Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
Btw - we aren't really talking about Camel - but ActiveMQ right ? ;)

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUCSS] - Apache Camel 5.9 release

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.

--
http://redhat.com
http://blog.garytully.com

Re: [DISCUCSS] - Apache Camel 5.9 release

Posted by Robert Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.

http://redhat.com
http://blog.garytully.com

Re: [DISCUCSS] - Apache Camel 5.9 release

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

I managed to patch the insight-log4j so it no longer does a System.out
when starting ActiveMQ broker in standalone mode.

So the new hawtio web console now has the log plugin enabled so people
can see the server logs from the web browser.

I also upgraded to latest hawtio release which removes the Create Fabric button.

And for the upcoming M21 release Stan Lewis fixed the log plugin to
show stacktraces again.

And there is this issue which needs fixing too
https://github.com/hawtio/hawtio/issues/617

Though the hawtio team is fast at cutting a new release when we need
it, for the AMQ 5.9 release.

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> We are closing down on a new Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.0 release.
>
> In the JIRA tracker we have 19 open tickets against this release
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20AMQ%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%225.9.0%22%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved
>
> I just wanted to get a thread started on @dev so we could get focused
> on resolving the remainder issues and get the code into shape for a
> release in not so far distant.
>
> There is possible some things to discuss/consider
>
> - Is the new leveldb stable and good as default replacement for
> kahadb. I am just asking because I got the impression that would be
> the intention to have leveldb replace kahadb in the future
> - Can we use hawtio 1.2M release or should we ask them to cut a 1.2 GA release
> - any pending documentation missing?
> - could anyone write up a summary of the new and noteworthy of this
> release. At Camel we write this during development, but at AMQ it
> seems like a last minute thing, and that possible let us forget some
> cool stuff. Maybe we should get on the habit and do like Camel and
> work on a release notes page during development
> - Any other stuff ?
>

> --
> Claus Ibsen
> -----------------
> Red Hat, Inc.
> Email: cibsen@redhat.com
> Twitter: davsclaus
> Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
I started the holder page for the release that we can hack on
 - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ACTIVEMQ/ActiveMQ+5.9.0+Release

new features - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ACTIVEMQ/New+Features+in+5.9
( i need to doco the runtime config)
migration - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ACTIVEMQ/5.9+Migration+Guide

http://redhat.com
http://blog.garytully.com

Re: [DISCUCSS] - Apache Camel 5.9 release

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I forgot:
Can someone apply my patch on activemq-osgi (to set leveldb JNI as
optional) ? Else, ActiveMQ 5.9 can't be installed in Karaf.

Thanks !

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org