Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> on 2018/03/26 13:50:45 UTC

ConfigDrive status

Hi,

I am interested in the ConfigDrive feature.
Before I potentially waste time on it, is anyone around here using it or can clarify whether it's usable or not or gotchas etc?

Regards,
Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: ConfigDrive status

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

On 03/27/2018 08:07 PM, Kris Sterckx wrote:
> Guys if we are talking about the 4.11 implementation, this is documented
> here
>

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Using+ConfigDrive+for+Metadata%2C+Userdata+and+Password
>

> It built further to Jayapal's work, but the support has been significantly
> generalized.
>
> - generalized to support Isolated networks and VPC's as well .  (note : no
> support *yet* for Basic Zone)

Thanks! It's on my whish-list to test this feature and some other things
like local storage migration.

Could take a while before I get to it, but then we can test this for
Basic Networking as well.

Wido

Re: ConfigDrive status

Posted by Kris Sterckx <kr...@nuagenetworks.net>.

Re: ConfigDrive status

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Re: ConfigDrive status

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Yes, makes sense, hope we can use it everywhere eventually and decouple userdata from the VR.
It would help a lot people working on alternate VRs, such as VyOS (I think cloudps were toying with it).

Thanks for the clarifications!

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: ConfigDrive status

Posted by Jayapal Uradi <ja...@accelerite.com>.
Yes.
In case shared network there is only DHCP and DNS and user data. If the DHCP and DNS is external then I don’t want to launch a VR only for user data.
Initially it was started to address only specific requirement.

We can have a config drive provider and it can be extended to all networks/zones.

Thanks,
Jayapal

> On Mar 27, 2018, at 1:48 PM, Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> wrote:
>
> Hi Jayapal,
>
> This has probably already been discussed and am missing a lot of context, but can you summarise why this is not applied in all zones?
> A network independent userdata provider should seem like the lowest common denominator, right?

> Nux!
> www.nux.ro

DISCLAIMER
==========

Re: ConfigDrive status

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Hi Jayapal,

Re: ConfigDrive status

Posted by Jayapal Uradi <ja...@accelerite.com>.
Hi Nux,

It is developed only for advanced zone shared network (offering without any services).
This feature is developed on xenserver, kvm and vmware hypervisor.

It can be extended to other networks.

-Jayapal
> On Mar 26, 2018, at 9:56 PM, Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> wrote:
>
> Thanks for all the feedback, I'll do some reading then.
>
> Lucian

> Nux!
> www.nux.ro

DISCLAIMER