Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Ilan Ginzburg <il...@gmail.com> on 2020/10/01 08:44:07 UTC

What is "Solr core"?

In code review/design discussions I've seen a few time comments made
about a feature or piece of code: "it doesn't belong in [Solr] core".

What's the definition of Solr "core" other than it being an IntelliJ
module? Does core have access to things that can't be accessed from
elsewhere? (like an OS kernel that can do processor tricks that use
code is not allowed to). Or is it a dependency graph where "core"
depends on nothing outside of core, but anything outside of core can
depend on core?

In other words, what's the cost of moving "outside of core" something
that's in core, and what's the value of doing so?

Thanks,
Ilan

Re: What is "Solr core"?

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.
Yes, solr-core usually means /solr/core module in the repository. It also
refers to the generated artifact solr-core-<VERSION>.jar.

> Or is it a dependency graph where "core"
> depends on nothing outside of core, but anything outside of core can
> depend on core?

solr-core depends on solrj module, but nothing else outside. Other modules
can/should depend on solr-core or solrj.

> In other words, what's the cost of moving "outside of core" something
> that's in core, and what's the value of doing so?

Outside the core means solr-core will have no traces of something in it.
Value is to reduce the clutter in solr-core. That way, only essential and
important functionality stays in solr-core, and hence reviews are simpler:
any PR that touches solr-core should get urgent attention, because it can
potentially disrupt the stability of Solr for its essential and default
functionality. Today, even almost all PRs touch solr-core, and hence the
potential of someone inadvertently making changes that mess up important
parts without others knowing how urgent that PR is.