Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2022/01/06 15:04:33 UTC

Re: Handling lack of access to upstream license files (Was: Fwd: Git repository for "azure-annotations" library is missing/private/incorrect)

A source jar on Maven central is not necessarily a buildable version of the source. Typically, it is enough to let you view the source in your IDE but may not have all the other stuff required to perform a build.

Ralph

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
A "-source" jar on Maven central will rarely build indeed, since it won't
normally contain build files like a POM or Ant build file. It is only used
as a view on the classes. A "src" or "bin" zip file can sometimes but
rarely be found on Central. Those might sometimes be helpful depending on
what you are trying to do.

The only way to build is from git or from an "src" zip or gz file. The zip
files you get from an Apache project's download page or a mirror.

Gary