Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Christophe JAILLET <ch...@wanadoo.fr> on 2020/05/07 20:21:07 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: Where is gone RemoteIPProxyProtocol directive (mod_remoteip) ?

Le 06/05/2020 à 12:20, Rainer Canavan a écrit :
> On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 11:04 AM JK Pard0x <jk...@pard0x.com> wrote:
>
>> Looking at the mod_remoteip source code for httpd 2.4.6 [1], it appears
>> the directive RemoteIPProxyProtocol does not exist anymore. I'm not sure
>> to understand how the versioning works.
> And indeed, it looks like versioning works differently than you
> believe it does. With the vast majority of open source projects, the
> dots separate decimal numbers, not digits that are used individually.
> So 2.4.9 is older than 2.4.10 and 2.4.4 is a lot older than 2.4.40.
>
> Compiling a mod_remoteip from a different version of httpd may work,
> but you should compile just the one module using the header files from
> the httpd developer packages, apr etc. that belong to the httpd you're
> actually using, not the where you're getting the updated mod_remoteip.
>
> I suspect you're using RHEL or CentOS. There are packages of newer
> httpds available, for example in the redhat software collections, but
> they are probably supported differently from the one included in the
> standard distribution.
>
> rainer

Hi,

in the doc, each directive that has been added or modified in the 2.4.x
branch should have a compatibility note.

For RemoteIPProxyProtocol, you can see at [1], that it has been
introduced in 2.4.31, and as explained above 2.4.6 is older than 2.4.31.

Best regards,
CJ

[1]:
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/en/mod/mod_remoteip.html#remoteipproxyprotocol