Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by David Wheeler <da...@wheeler.net> on 2002/12/03 21:51:00 UTC

Online Tonight

All,

I will be the featured guest for an hour on the nationally syndicated
talk radio show "Online Tonight" this evening at 8 pm PST (11 pm EST).
Host David Lawrence and I be discussing Bricolage, its history, and
content management in general. This is my first time on the radio, so
it should be interesting. The show is a light, humor-oriented tech talk
show, and is, along with Online Today, "the most listened to
high-tech-oriented talk show on the air today," according to CNET Radio.

The show's web site:
   http://www.online-tonight.com/

To listen in via streaming media:
   http://www.cnet.com/broadband/0-7227152.html

For those who aren't familiar with Bricolage, it's the mod_perl-powered
enterprise-class content management software I've been working on for a
few years, first at Salon, then for About.com, and now as open-source
(free) software on the Internet.

The Bricolage web site:
   http://bricolage.cc/

A Tech analysis in the October 28th eWeek:

Feel free to tune in or even call in and show your support for mod_perl
applications. Host David Lawrence and I will also be available via IM
during the broadcast.

Regards,

David
david@wheeler.net                                 ICQ: 15726394
http://david.wheeler.net/                      Yahoo!: dew7e
                                                Jabber: Theory@jabber.org

Re: Online Tonight (Bricolage)

Posted by David Wheeler <da...@wheeler.net>.
On Friday, December 6, 2002, at 09:18  PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

> I got the workspace side running with only a little fiddling to
> back out a CPAN-installed Mason 1.15, but still don't understand
> how to publish pages to a viewing site.   Is a working example included
> or available?   I was hoping for something like http://www.plone.org
> has as a starting point (but of course I want to use apache/mod_perl
> instead of zope/python).  Or do I just have to learn a lot more about
> Mason myself?

Unfortunately, there is no demo site. If you create stories with the
default elements in the system and preview them, the default templates
will render your stories (in a very ugly way). If you create a
Destination to distribute those stories, you can then publish them.

But if you want to customize the look and feel of the templates for
your own site, you are going to have to learn how to create templates.
This is even more true if you create your own elements. The
documentation for Mason templates is in Bric::Templates and
Bric::AdvTemplates. But no, you don't have to learn Mason; you can use
HTML::Template templates, instead, if you like. The documentation for
HTML::Template templates is in, you guessed it, Bric::HTMLTemplate.
BTW, all of the Bricolage documentation is available online, too,
although be aware that the online copies are for the development
version of Bricolage.

   http://bricolage.cc/documentation.html

Good luck!

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@attbi.com>.
>From: "David Wheeler" <da...@wheeler.net>
>
> I certainly mentioned how important Perl, mod_perl, Apache, Mason, and
> PostgreSQL are to the success of the project.

I got the workspace side running with only a little fiddling to
back out a CPAN-installed Mason 1.15, but still don't understand
how to publish pages to a viewing site.   Is a working example included
or available?   I was hoping for something like http://www.plone.org
has as a starting point (but of course I want to use apache/mod_perl
instead of zope/python).  Or do I just have to learn a lot more about
Mason myself?

---
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@attbi.com

Re: Online Tonight

Posted by David Wheeler <da...@wheeler.net>.
On Thursday, December 5, 2002, at 05:48  PM, Stas Bekman wrote:

> When you get the mp3, please send us a link, so we can link to it from
> perl.apache.org! Thanks.

Will do.

Re: Online Tonight

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
David Wheeler wrote:
> On Thursday, December 5, 2002, at 12:46  AM, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Care to share with us how was the show? And how much mod_perl talk was
>> in it?
>

> I certainly mentioned how important Perl, mod_perl, Apache, Mason, and
> PostgreSQL are to the success of the project. The show went pretty well
> (and a few people who listened agree), but I think I got only around
> 10-12 minutes time talking in the whole hour! Such is the nature of
> commercial radio, I guess. They plan to have me on again, though --
> perhaps live from the floor of Macworld Expo; we'll see. I'll certainly
> keep pumping the above-mentioned software, though -- it's all crucial!

Great!

Re: Online Tonight

Posted by David Wheeler <da...@wheeler.net>.
On Thursday, December 5, 2002, at 12:46  AM, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Care to share with us how was the show? And how much mod_perl talk was
> in it?

I certainly mentioned how important Perl, mod_perl, Apache, Mason, and
PostgreSQL are to the success of the project. The show went pretty well
(and a few people who listened agree), but I think I got only around
10-12 minutes time talking in the whole hour! Such is the nature of
commercial radio, I guess. They plan to have me on again, though --
perhaps live from the floor of Macworld Expo; we'll see. I'll certainly
keep pumping the above-mentioned software, though -- it's all crucial!

> Unfortunately I wasn't able to listen to the broadcast due to some sw
> issues, the browser just hanged there... If the show was of interest
> to other mod_perl users, is there an mp3 that we can link to from
> perl.apache.org?

The show is online here:

   http://www.onlinetonight.net/archives/001100.html

I was on in the second hour (photo to appear later today), and you can
listen to it via a WMA file. They were kind enough to give me MP3s of
the hour, and once I get them edited, I'll post them somewhere.
Probably on bricolage.cc. I think it might be of interest to others,
although I suspect that the edited version might be of most interest,
once I can provide it.

Best,

Re: Online Tonight

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
David Wheeler wrote:
> All,
>
> I will be the featured guest for an hour on the nationally syndicated
> talk radio show "Online Tonight" this evening at 8 pm PST (11 pm EST).
> Host David Lawrence and I be discussing Bricolage, its history, and
> content management in general. This is my first time on the radio, so it
> should be interesting. The show is a light, humor-oriented tech talk
> show, and is, along with Online Today, "the most listened to
> high-tech-oriented talk show on the air today," according to CNET Radio.
>
> The show's web site:
>   http://www.online-tonight.com/
>
> To listen in via streaming media:
>   http://www.cnet.com/broadband/0-7227152.html