Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by George Worley <gw...@pic.dyndns.org> on 2004/06/05 08:18:04 UTC

[users@httpd] server-status

I have looked through the archives and  have found plenty on the above -
server-status - I want to be able to see the server-status  from
anywhere on the Internet but I don't want anybody else to be able to
look at it.

I have the following in my httpd.conf file:

|**|<Location /server-status>
        SetHandler server-status
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "Sysop"
        AuthDBMUserFile pass
        AuthDBMGroupFile pass
        AuthDBMAuthoritative on
        Require user george
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from all
        #Allow from all
        Allow from pic.dyndns.org
</Location>

I have created a directory entry  -- d:\apache
group\apache2\htdocs\server-status.
In that directory I have created a blank .htaccess file.   I have also
done all the other things suggested in the archives but nothing seems to
work.   I cannot figure out where the user database should be.   I have
it currently under d:\apache group\apache2\conf  -- all of the
documentation assumes that you are using Linux and I am not -- what I am
getting is the user name/password prompt.  Once I type in the user name
and password, the browser keeps asking me for the user name/password
over and over.

I have tried pointing the user data to PASS and full path
d:/apache~1/apache/conf/pass

I am not sure what I am doing wrong.   Can someone help me please.   Thanks.

George

Re: [users@httpd] server-status

Posted by Eugene Lee <li...@fsck.net>.
On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 01:18:04AM -0500, George Worley wrote:
:
: I have the following in my httpd.conf file:
:
: <Location /server-status>
:        SetHandler server-status
:        AuthType Basic
:        AuthName "Sysop"

So far, so good.

:        AuthDBMUserFile pass
:        AuthDBMGroupFile pass

The above two directives are wrong.  You need to specify the absolute
file pathname to those respective files.  You can put those files any
place you like.  However, it is strongly recommended that you do *not*
put them under any DocumentRoot.

	AuthDBMUserFile "d:/apache group/apache2/userpass"
	AuthDBMGroupFile "d:/apache group/apache2/grouppass"

:        AuthDBMAuthoritative on
:        Require user george
:        Order deny,allow
:        Deny from all
:        #Allow from all
:        Allow from pic.dyndns.org
: </Location>

The rest looks good.

: I have created a directory entry -- d:\apache group\apache2\htdocs\server-status.

You don't need to create the directory.  In fact, delete it.

: In that directory I have created a blank .htaccess file.

You don't need to do that either, since you are specifying the configs
directly in httpd.conf.

: what I am getting is the user name/password prompt.  Once I type in
: the user name and password, the browser keeps asking me for the user
: name/password over and over.

Because Apache failed to find your username/password combination in the
user file you incorrectly specified above.

: I have tried pointing the user data to PASS and full path
: d:/apache~1/apache/conf/pass

Again, you can put it any where you want.  Make sure that the path is
correct.  Here you specified ".../apache/..." while above you specified
".../apache2/..."  Also, don't include AuthDBMGroupFile unless you intend
to use that feature.

--
Eugene Lee