Posted to dev@spot.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org> on 2023/03/13 20:42:11 UTC

[VOTE] Retire the Spot podling

Hello,

as recently discussed, I think the Spot podling is ready for retirement.

Several roll calls were made, like this one:
https://lists.apache.org/list?private@spot.apache.org:2022-10

There has been no activity for a while; there are no signs of change soon.

Please vote:

[ ] +1, retire
[ ] -1 don't retire, because...

Please don't hesitate to vote -1 if you feel this podling should remain.

This vote will be kept open for at least the usual 72 hours.

Kind regards,
Christian

Re: [VOTE] Retire the Spot podling

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org>.
my own +1

Posted by Austin Leahy <le...@apache.org>.
Friends, Contributors, Moochers I come to bury Spot, and also to praise it.

While I did not start the project that became Apache Spot I would like to
believe that my agitation against the Intel project ONI in 2016 helped move
it from “Maybe OSS” inside Intel to donated to Apache. I do believe today
that this project is ready for the attic but to do so is worth recognizing
the state of play changes in the field within the last 8 years.

Before I explain I would like to give credit to a number of crucial
contributors to the project without whom we would have never made it to
Apache…

While I know that there are many I am missing (at the time of donation
intel had a team of almost 40 not listed here working on the project) I
would be remiss to state that this project would never have existed without
important vision, strategy or contributions from the following individuals.

Alan Ross
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alan-ross-4a21662/

Grant Babb

https://www.linkedin.com/in/grant-babb-7438125a/

Ritu Kama
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ritukama/

Carlos Villavicencio
https://www.linkedin.com/in/carlos-villavicencio-20018328/

Nathanael Smith
https://www.linkedin.com/in/nathanaelpsmith/

Following on to Spot’s incubation the following contributors gave
significant time to the Spot Operational Data Models that have become the
basis for a number of modern security products:

Tadd Wood

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tadd-wood-7bbb3b9/

Morris Hicks
https://www.linkedin.com/in/morris-hicks-28a27b2/

Charles Neitzel
https://www.linkedin.com/in/charles-neitzel-949bb5b/

This project has had a number of internal mentors rotate threw but I would
be remiss if I did not appreciate the guidance certain members who were
always ready to jump on the phone when times were tough in particular:

Brock Noland
https://www.linkedin.com/in/brocknoland/

One should not mention those who contributed to the project without
mentioning with love those who inadvertently sabotaged it… in the early
2010’s before we even got started

Jon “Natty” Natkins
https://www.linkedin.com/in/nattyice/

wrote a blog post that was distributed by Cloudera about how to implement
Apache Flume in the absolutely worst possible way. It quickly became for no
reason I can understand the number one google response for “how to
implement flume”.  I personally believe that the misdirect of this blog
post led almost entirely to the modern popularity of Kafka which might
realistically be completely unnecessary when it comes to true security Big
Data ingestion at scale. Anyone with Confluent stock now you know who to
thank.

Finally without taking credit for other’s work I like to hope and believe
that my personal obsession with the data models for ONI and Spot during my
time at eBay helped in some small way inspire the work that our former
colleagues at eBay have contributed to the Open Cybersecurity Schema
Framework (OCSF) namely:

Mike Radka
https://www.linkedin.com/in/mikeradka/

Now that acknowledgements are complete, I would like to explain why I
believe we failed to make true progress on this project over the years
since my team first became engaged with it.

*TL;DR the companies that require a solution (hopefully more robust) in the
style of Spot are on a dollars and cents basis a tiny piece of the market.*

It’s important to understand why security organizations (in 2016 and today)
at large companies tend to work to rely on vague telemetry monitoring.
Namely engineering organizations prefer to maintain their distance and
black box their solutions facing InfoSec (and I say what comes next after 8
years of work in security where the previous 10 years was part of data
science and core platform engineering) out of a desire to punt solving
problems correctly to anyone not associated with their Jira backlog.

I can say with 100% certainty that as the final say in our orgs leadership
since our team left eBay that every time we have had the dollar buffer to
contribute to our code bases we never seemed to make progress on Spot
instead we seemed to consistently make progress for our cloud customers on
what we would now call SMFSD.

*State Management For Secure Deployment*

While cloud was not new at the advent of Spot it has in the intervening
time it has eaten the middle market in the best possible way.  Cloud
services have provided a powerful new surface of transparency for security
organizations willing to take the plunge. The ability to on demand audit
for example the configuration of an entire API surface that would have been
previously have been at best part of logging as “nginx server
errors/exceptions” creates a unique opportunity for security organizations
to move from a on your heels reactive poster to an on your toes
preventative posture. While this change doesn’t discount the need for
mature security organizations to focus on monitoring, it does change the
order of operations for smaller organizations when it comes to the question
“what does it mean to be more secure?”

We today (contributors with whom I collaborate) chose to focus on this
middle path as we believe it is the most effective way to raise all ships
with our limited resources. Within that we will do all we can to bolster
projects like Open Cybersecurity Schema Framework which we believe that in
the long tail will achieve what we set out to do here….

Apache will always have a Spot in our Heart

* Austin Leahy Crazy Big Data Security Guy who spent too long at your booth
at a conference*

Posted by Austin Leahy <le...@apache.org>.

Posted by Uma Maheswara Rao Gangumalla <um...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by PJ Fanning <fa...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

I'm sorry to say it but it appears the project no longer has enough
support to continue as a podling.

Posted by "Zeolla@GMail.com" <ze...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Jon

On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 17:19 Pierre-Luc Dion <pd...@apache.org> wrote:

> +1
>
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 4:43 PM Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > as recently discussed, I think the Spot podling is ready for retirement.
> >
> > Several roll calls were made, like this one:
> > https://lists.apache.org/list?private@spot.apache.org:2022-10
> >
> > There has been no activity for a while; there are no signs of change
> soon.
> >
> > Please vote:
> >
> > [ ] +1, retire
> > [ ] -1 don't retire, because...
> >
> > Please don't hesitate to vote -1 if you feel this podling should remain.
> >
> > This vote will be kept open for at least the usual 72 hours.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Christian

Jon Zeolla
@jonzeolla