Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/03 17:04:49 UTC

PropagateServer Implementation for Solr

Hi;

I will open two issues at Jira and I want to write down my thoughts here.
Currently Solr servers are interacting with only one Solr node. I think
that there should be an implementation that propagates requests into
multiple Solr nodes. For example when Solr is used as SolrCloud sending a
LukeRequest should be made to one node at each shard. First patch will be
related to implementing a PropagateServer for Solr.

Second issue is related to first one. Let's assume that you are using Solr
as SolrCloud and you have more than one shard. Let's assume that there are
20 docs at shard_1 and 15 docs at shard_2. When using CloudSolrServer if
you make a LukeRequest it uses LBHttpSolrServer internally and it sends
request to just one Solr Node (via HttpSolrServer) as round robin. So you
may get 20 docs as a result at first request and if you send same request
you may get 15 docs as a result too. Using a PropagateServer inside
CloudSolrServer will fix that bug.

I will make initial patchs for them and I will change/add code to them
after getting feedback from comminity (i.e. first patch will not make multi
threaded requests at PropagateServer, I just want to get feedbacks of
comminity)

Thanks;
Furkan KAMACI