Posted to users@maven.apache.org by John Patrick <nh...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/24 19:46:30 UTC

2 issues with maven version range

i'm trying to start using maven version range more but having issues
with things like guava and also it not excluding version i believe
should be excluded.

1) i don't think this is possible but it might be, take a look a
google guava, it has a jre and a android version. using maven version
range how can i say any newer jre version, or any newer android
version?

https://search.maven.org/artifact/com.google.guava/guava

something like [25,) but only the jre maybe [25*-jre,)

2) i'm trying to use the version range "[4.7.0,5) "for
io.cucumber:cucumber-core. So i'm expecting it to use 4.8.0, not
5.0.0-RC1 which is being picked up, i.e. mvn dependency:tree -Dverbose
-Dincludes=io.cucumber

https://search.maven.org/artifact/io.cucumber/cucumber-core

what do i need to change "[4.7.0,5)" to do it excludes anything starting 5?

or are other people having similar issue so gave using trying to use
maven version ranges when declaring dependencies?

John

Re: 2 issues with maven version range

Posted by Thomas Broyer <t....@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 7:17 PM Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> On 24.11.19 20:46, John Patrick wrote:
> > i'm trying to start using maven version range more but having issues
> > with things like guava and also it not excluding version i believe
> > should be excluded.
> >
> > 1) i don't think this is possible but it might be, take a look a
> > google guava, it has a jre and a android version. using maven version
> > range how can i say any newer jre version, or any newer android
> > version?
> >
> > https://search.maven.org/artifact/com.google.guava/guava
> >
> > something like [25,) but only the jre maybe [25*-jre,)
>

> Let us start with Guava.
>
> The issue with Guava is that they made the `-jre` part of the version
> number which is from a Maven point of view simply wrong. This should
> have been done via a clas^sifier. Because -jre, -android are specialized
> packages which are valid for only particular environments.
>
>  From the documentation[1]:
> ```
> The classifier distinguishes artifacts that were built from the same POM
> but differ in content. It is some optional and arbitrary string that -
> if present - is appended to the artifact name just after the version
> number.
> As a motivation for this element, consider for example a project that
> offers an artifact targeting JRE 1.5 but at the same time also an
> artifact that still supports JRE 1.4. The first artifact could be
> equipped with the classifier jdk15 and the second one with jdk14 such
> that clients can choose which one to use.
>
> Another common use case for classifiers is to attach secondary artifacts
> to the project's main artifact. If you browse the Maven central
> repository, you will notice that the classifiers sources and javadoc are
> used to deploy the project source code and API docs along with the
> packaged class files.
> ```
> So an android package could simply be namind by using:
>
> g: com.google.guava
> a: guava
> v: 27.1
> classifier: jre
>
> etc.
> classifier: android
>
> Unfortunately they had decided to put this into the version which causes
> the issues. This in result means you can not select the version correctly.

Fwiw, and afaict, they did this for 2 reasons:

   - android and jre flavors don't have the same dependencies (checker-qual
   vs checker-compat-qual), so they can't just be differentiated by a
   classifier alone, they need separate POMs, which means different GAVs or
   different versions;
   - you cannot declare that two GAVs conflict with each other; if they had
   separate GAVs, dependencies could transitively bring both flavors, and the
   only way around that (after you detect it) would be to add exclusions.
   Using separate versions means that you only have one flavor at a time in
   your dependency tree, and dependencyManagement can be used to pin the
   version you want to actually use.

See https://github.com/google/guava/issues/2914 and
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NYGbfz56C0Oh4IGymXjeQUVK4FcRiqDbpc4vGLnDMrY/edit?usp=sharing
(which I found out after writing the above, and didn't read in full yet)

--
Thomas Broyer
/tɔ.ma.bʁwa.je/ <http://xn--nna.ma.xn--bwa-xxb.je/>

Re: 2 issues with maven version range

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi John,

On 24.11.19 20:46, John Patrick wrote:
> i'm trying to start using maven version range more but having issues
> with things like guava and also it not excluding version i believe
> should be excluded.
>
> 1) i don't think this is possible but it might be, take a look a
> google guava, it has a jre and a android version. using maven version
> range how can i say any newer jre version, or any newer android
> version?
>
> https://search.maven.org/artifact/com.google.guava/guava
>
> something like [25,) but only the jre maybe [25*-jre,)

Let us start with Guava.

The issue with Guava is that they made the `-jre` part of the version
number which is from a Maven point of view simply wrong. This should
have been done via a clas^sifier. Because -jre, -android are specialized
packages which are valid for only particular environments.

 From the documentation[1]:
```

[1]: https://maven.apache.org/pom.html

> 2) i'm trying to use the version range "[4.7.0,5) "for
> io.cucumber:cucumber-core. So i'm expecting it to use 4.8.0, not
> 5.0.0-RC1 which is being picked up, i.e. mvn dependency:tree -Dverbose
> -Dincludes=io.cucumber
>
> https://search.maven.org/artifact/io.cucumber/cucumber-core
>
> what do i need to change "[4.7.0,5)" to do it excludes anything starting 5?

So next checking for version comparison:

This can be checked via command line: (from the Apache Maven installation):

$ java -jar maven-artifact-3.6.2.jar 4.7.0 5
Display parameters as parsed by Maven (in canonical form) and comparison
result:
1. 4.7.0 == 4.7
    4.7.0 < 5
2. 5 == 5

This will show the obvious as you already know. Now let us check
something different:

lib$ java -jar maven-artifact-3.6.2.jar  5.0.0-alpha 5.0.0
Display parameters as parsed by Maven (in canonical form) and comparison
result:
1. 5.0.0-alpha == 5-alpha
    5.0.0-alpha < 5.0.0
2. 5.0.0 == 5

So based on that your version range: [4,5) will include everything which
starts with "5.0.0", "5.0", or "5" this will also include "-RC??",
"-alpha" and "-SNAPSHOT" because they are less than "5", "5.0" or
"5.0.0" etc.

Furthermore I would say "5" < "5-SNAPSHOT" is from a Maven point of view
is very intuitve cause the "SNAPSHOT" is on the timeline before
releasing final release "5". (This is also true for "5.0.0" <
"5.0.0-SNAPSHOT").

To prevent having "RC"'s etc. in your range the only way is to use
"[4,4.9999999.99999)" (Yes it looks strange.) for given example
cucumber-core...

Also see the discussion on the users list:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/888730bd2479a9ae247e12b1f7ae6a85285feb395bdfe99c2e435a46@<users.maven.apache.org>

Unfortunately I agree that from a user point of view this should be done
better.

This could be changed for Maven 4.X but never for Maven 3.X.

In the end my opinion (and experience) is simply not to use version
ranges at all cause that could break your build without knowing why
..(I've seen that several times already)...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: 2 issues with maven version range

Posted by Tomo Suzuki <su...@google.com.INVALID>.
> thoughts?

(I don't design or use Maven version ranges)
I agree that the behavior below, such as "5.0.0-SNAPSHOT" < "5", is not
intuitive for users.
Our team in Google recently articulated good practices of maintaining
dependencies. One of the topics is "not to use version range":
https://jlbp.dev/JLBP-14.html .

Tomo

Re: 2 issues with maven version range

Posted by Maarten Mulders <ma...@mulders.it>.

Posted by John Patrick <nh...@gmail.com>.
cheers for the information.

Posted by Tomo Suzuki <su...@google.com.INVALID>.
I believe your cases do not work with version ranges. Version ranges depend
on the order of the versions, and thus you cannot filter "-guava".

The ordering of version is defined in
org.eclipse.aether.util.version.GenericVersion in maven-resolver-util.

Example code to check:

    // GenericVersionScheme is in
org.apache.maven.resolver:maven-resolver-util:1.3.3
    GenericVersionScheme scheme = new GenericVersionScheme();
    List<Version> list = new ArrayList<>();
    list.add(scheme.parseVersion("4.7.0"));
    list.add(scheme.parseVersion("4.99999.0"));
    list.add(scheme.parseVersion("5"));
    list.add(scheme.parseVersion("5.0.0"));
    list.add(scheme.parseVersion("5.0.0-RC1"));
    list.add(scheme.parseVersion("5.0.0-SNAPSHOT"));
    Collections.sort(list);
    System.out.println(list); // [4.7.0, 4.99999.0, 5.0.0-RC1,
5.0.0-SNAPSHOT, 5, 5.0.0]

So version "5.0.0-RC1" is smaller than version "5"; you can use [4.7.0,
4.9999999]".

Regards,
Tomo

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 2:46 PM John Patrick <nh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> i'm trying to start using maven version range more but having issues
> with things like guava and also it not excluding version i believe
> should be excluded.
>
> 1) i don't think this is possible but it might be, take a look a
> google guava, it has a jre and a android version. using maven version
> range how can i say any newer jre version, or any newer android
> version?
>
> https://search.maven.org/artifact/com.google.guava/guava
>
> something like [25,) but only the jre maybe [25*-jre,)
>
> 2) i'm trying to use the version range "[4.7.0,5) "for
> io.cucumber:cucumber-core. So i'm expecting it to use 4.8.0, not
> 5.0.0-RC1 which is being picked up, i.e. mvn dependency:tree -Dverbose
> -Dincludes=io.cucumber
>
> https://search.maven.org/artifact/io.cucumber/cucumber-core
>
> what do i need to change "[4.7.0,5)" to do it excludes anything starting 5?
>
> or are other people having similar issue so gave using trying to use
> maven version ranges when declaring dependencies?
>
> John

Tomo