Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by support_us <su...@finereport.com> on 2008/03/07 03:43:50 UTC

Is it legal to embed batik in FineReport(www.finereport.com)?

FineReport (www.finereport.com) is a Java Reporting tool with both
commercial and free license, and we used
batick to output some of the reports to SVG format.

So is it legal to sell commercial FineReport with batik jar file in it?

We are waiting for the answer eagerly.

Thanks,

FineReport Partners

Re: Is it legal to embed batik in FineReport(www.finereport.com)?

Posted by Zhongli Ni <zx...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jeremias,

Thank you very much.

We are so glad to hear the good news. Batik is great especially Adobe is has
stopped to support SVG viewer.

We will study all the licenses and work closely with your movement.

Best Regards.

Johnny Ni
FineReport Support In US

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Apache Batik is published under the Apache License V2.0 which, in short,
allows the use and redistribution in commercial products. This is very
unlike, for example, the GPL which doesn't allow this.

I urge you to study the Apache License V2.0 [1] and all the other
third-party licenses mentioned in the "lib" directory of Batik's
distribution. It is very important that you understand what license
terms apply to any software parts you integrate into your commercial
software. After all, you agree to a license agreement by integrating
Batik into your software.

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html

I hope that helps. It's good to see that Batik is useful to you.

BTW, IANAL.

On 07.03.2008 03:43:50 support_us wrote:
> FineReport (www.finereport.com) is a Java Reporting tool with both
> commercial and free license, and we used
> batick to output some of the reports to SVG format.
>
> So is it legal to sell commercial FineReport with batik jar file in it?
>
> We are waiting for the answer eagerly.
>
> Thanks,
>
> FineReport Partners

Jeremias Maerki