Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Ryan Mohr <ry...@kumu.io> on 2013/10/30 21:39:53 UTC

Requests silently failing

Lately I've been running into an annoying bug where requests are silently
being dropped.  They're logged at the debug level and then nothing happens.
 No error and no info level confirmation that the request went through.

This only seems to happen with PUT/POST requests and only once the
connection (persistent ssl, nodelay) has been idle for a few minutes.

I'm using the excon library to proxy the requests through a rails app.
 Originally I thought it was an excon issue but now I'm not so sure.  A
complete background can be found in the original github issue:

https://github.com/geemus/excon/issues/268#issuecomment-27355940

Anyone experienced this before?

CouchDB Version: 1.4.0
Excon Version: 0.27.6

(Sorry if this is a duplicate post. Didn't look like the original one went
through.)

Fwd: Requests silently failing

Posted by Ryan Mohr <ry...@kumu.io>.
Hey Alex,

Correct on the request chain.  And both excon and couchdb are using tcp
nodelay if that makes any difference.

I had looked into tcpdump but was in over my head.  I could see traffic
passing through 6984 but couldn't tell if the requests and responses were
complete or not. Doesn't help that all the traffic is encrypted either.

Here's the command I was using: sudo tcpdump -vv -n 'tcp port 6984'

If the response was being sent, any idea why I wouldn't see the [info]
level confirmation in the logs?

Have you tried to see with tcpdump/wireshark if CouchDB actually sends
the response? Just to be sure, that this is not third-party tools
problem.

P.S. am I understood right that the request chain is user -> rails ->
excon -> couchdb ?
--

Re: Requests silently failing

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.