Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jon Strayer <jo...@strayer.org> on 2010/11/29 14:36:04 UTC

FYI Repo "hacked"?

On the 24th of November my reports build failed.  The failure message is:
Unable to read local copy of metadata: Cannot read metadata from
'e:\repo\org\apache\maven\skins\maven-default-skin\maven-metadata-java.net.xml':
end tag name </head> must be the same as start tag <meta> from line 7
(position: TEXT seen ... hack msn hack www.44imha.in
www.islamihacker.org</title>\r\n</head>...
@9:8)
  org.apache.maven.skins:maven-default-skin:jar:RELEASE

And sure enough when I look at the maven-metadata-java.net.xml It is a web
page.  The page references islamihacker.org so it looks like some putz
thought "hacking" a public repository was some kind of challenge.

Re: FYI Repo "hacked"?

Posted by Jon Strayer <jo...@strayer.org>.
Thanks for the reply.  I checked my Nexus logs and it showed a similar
problem but for a different repository.  The Java.Net proxy didn't show the
problem.  I cleared my local repository and Nexus.  Perhaps that will clear
the problem.

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu> wrote:

> Lets look at this closely:
>
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Jon Strayer <jo...@strayer.org> wrote:
> > On the 24th of November my reports build failed.  The failure message is:
> > Unable to read local copy of metadata: Cannot read metadata from
> >
> 'e:\repo\org\apache\maven\skins\maven-default-skin\maven-metadata-java.net.xml':
>
> The name of this file tells me that Maven thinks it got this metadata
> from a repo with id "java.net". Double checking Central, we can see
> that this file is normal:
>
> http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/skins/maven-default-skin/maven-metadata.xml
>
> Checking the standard java.net repo, we can see that org/apache/maven
> doesn't even exist:
> http://download.java.net/maven/2/org/apache/
>
> So far this doesn't appear to be a repo hack but more likely something
> local or to a local server you use.
>
> > end tag name </head> must be the same as start tag <meta> from line 7
> > (position: TEXT seen ... hack msn hack www.44imha.in
> > www.islamihacker.org</title>\r\n</head>...
> > @9:8)
> >  org.apache.maven.skins:maven-default-skin:jar:RELEASE
> >
> > And sure enough when I look at the maven-metadata-java.net.xml It is a
> web
> > page.  The page references islamihacker.org so it looks like some putz
> > thought "hacking" a public repository was some kind of challenge.
> >

> In your builds, what url does java.net point at? You can check the
> entire transitive tree with the snapshot of the dependency plugin:
> mvn
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-dependency-plugin:2.2-SNAPSHOT:list-repositories
>
> It's possible that somehow your machine was redirected at a website
> that had this page and Maven picked it up.

" People who couldn't find Nebraska on a world map are certain that global
warming is a left-wing hoax.
Gene Lyons"

Re: FYI Repo "hacked"?

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.