Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jan van den Berg <ja...@solcon.nl> on 2004/11/24 11:40:18 UTC

RE: [users@httpd] Scaling Apache-> Logging

Thanks everyone for the input so far.
Right now we're looking into NAS systems by either DELL or NetApp (any
tips or experiences are welcome). SANs tend to be more expensive, and
don't give us more flexibility than we would need.

But my main question is regarding logging. How to go about it in the
best possible manner.
Right we are using webalizer and keeping error and access logs per
website, and generating reports nightly.
But when using front-ends the logs would be scattered over the different
front-ends; which _could_ later be merged again. Another way would be to
keep the logs on the NAS as well, one central point. But this would
probably highten the NFS traffic, which I would rather keep to a
minimum. Also we could log everything to one big file and later make the
differentiation per user, or we could keep the logs per user(website),
what's smart?
So;
1. What is good way of logging for different websites and different
users? (Centralized or not, one file or per user etc.)
Next question:
2. I heard a lot about AWstats being flexible and all, does anyone have
any experience with this software in regard to my first question?

Jan van den Berg