Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> on 2007/05/27 03:55:12 UTC

[ApacheDS] [Documentation] How to release guide added to confluence

Hi all,

Now Emmanuel nagged me over and over and over again until I wrote up this
doco and I'm glad he did that.  We finally have an extensive guide to
releasing shared, daemon and apacheds projects.  You can take a look here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxDEV/guide-to-directory-releases.html

Please it will be nice if people review it to see if it is clear.  If not I
can modify it.  From now on I'll just step different people through each
release so different people on the team can feel comfortable with the
process.

BTW note that none of the maven functionality that was put into the
1.0branch to make releasing this easy has been put into the
1.5 branch.  Do we have any volunteers to do this?  Please anyone but
Emmanuel since he breaks out in hives when dealing with Maven :).  Ok I
guess it's going to be me :(.  If no one volunteers I'll just wait until the
next release (1.5.1) on that branch.

Cheers,
Alex

Re: [ApacheDS] [Documentation] How to release guide added to confluence

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On 5/27/07, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org> wrote:

> Alex Karasulu a écrit :
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Now Emmanuel nagged me over and over and over again until I wrote up
> this
> > doco and I'm glad he did that.  We finally have an extensive guide to
> > releasing shared, daemon and apacheds projects.  You can take a look
> > here:
> >
> > http://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxDEV/guide-to-directory-releases.html
>
> Oh, just great ! I gonna reveiw asap !

Thanks!

> > Please it will be nice if people review it to see if it is clear.  If
> > not I
> > can modify it.  From now on I'll just step different people through each
> > release so different people on the team can feel comfortable with the
> > process.
>
> The best would be to release one more version sson so that we can test
> this doco live :)

Yes very good idea.

> > BTW note that none of the maven functionality that was put into the
> > 1.0branch to make releasing this easy has been put into the
> > 1.5 branch.  Do we have any volunteers to do this?
>
> See next note...
>
> > Please anyone but
> > Emmanuel
>
> F word to you !

You mean fabulous or fantastic? :)

> since he breaks out in hives when dealing with Maven :).
>
> Hey, Maven is not *that* complex. Is it ? Or may be I'm too stupid ;)

Maven is complex when you have to do anything out of the ordinary with it.

> Ok I
> > guess it's going to be me :(.  If no one volunteers I'll just wait
> > until the
> > next release (1.5.1) on that branch.
>
> Just a little point : I'm just in the process of cleaning all the
> dependencies in 1.5, so if you are to break^H^H^H^H^Hmodify pom.xml
> files, just wait until monday ;)

NP.

> > Cheers,
> > Alex
>
> Alex, thanks for this great doco, I think we needed it badly. Even if
> you are the one who were releasing, such a doco is absolutly mandatory
> (what about the reference on 1.0-RC4 we found somwhere while releasing
> 1.0.2 ??? :P )

NP and yes this just shows how poorly this process was managed by me.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Alex Karasulu a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> Now Emmanuel nagged me over and over and over again until I wrote up this
> doco and I'm glad he did that.  We finally have an extensive guide to
> releasing shared, daemon and apacheds projects.  You can take a look
> here:
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxDEV/guide-to-directory-releases.html

Oh, just great ! I gonna reveiw asap !

> Please it will be nice if people review it to see if it is clear.  If
> not I
> can modify it.  From now on I'll just step different people through each
> release so different people on the team can feel comfortable with the
> process.

The best would be to release one more version sson so that we can test
this doco live :)

> BTW note that none of the maven functionality that was put into the
> 1.0branch to make releasing this easy has been put into the
> 1.5 branch.  Do we have any volunteers to do this?

See next note...

> Please anyone but
> Emmanuel

F word to you !