Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> on 2011/12/06 12:39:16 UTC

locking down wiki.apache.org/hadoop

the Hadoop wiki has been collecting a lot of spam links, usually on the
front page or PoweredBy; these are clearly the high ranking
destinations. Keeping these links under control is a waste of effort.

I propose locking down the wiki at http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop so that
before a user can edit it, they need someone with the right permissions
to grant them access -which we could do via an email to the common-dev list

The lock-down process is described here
http://wiki.apache.org/general/OurWikiFarm#per_wiki_access_control_-_tighten_your_wiki_just_a_little.2C_benefit_just_a_lot

1. At the end of the email there's the list of people that have made
non-spam contributions in the past 90 days;

2. people with admin rights can add new contributors.

For this I propose adding people who I think are contributors to Hadoop
or one of the related projects (HBase, Hive, Zookeeper ...) .

The current list I've set up is

  * Arun C Murthy
  * DmitriyLyubimov
  * DougCutting
  * DougMeil
  * EliCollins
  * FlavioJunqueira
  * GaryHelmling
  * GavinMcDonald
  * GiridharanKesavan
  * ErIc14
  * JoeSchaefer
  * johanoskarsson
  * JohnSichi
  * KonstantinShvachko
  * LukeLu
  * mahadevkonar
  * MattFoley
  * NigelDaley
  * OwenOMalley
  * SebastianBazley
  * SteveLoughran
  * stack
  * ToddLipcon
  * TomWhite
  * VinodKumarVavilapalli

I don't know everyone downstream, so email me direct with your wiki
account and I'll add them or any other asf committer

Reviewing the last 90 day contributor list and filtering out the
spammers, the initial list of people who should get contributor access
is below.

Does anyone have any issues/objections to this proposal?

AlexHarchenko
AlexMargolin
AndrewTaggart
AmrAwadallah
Arun C Murthy
AsankhaPerera
ChrisHutton
ChenHe
ChrisWensel
ChristopheBisciglia
DataNerd
dalinaum
DavidBiesack
DmitriyLyubimov
DominicDunlop
DougCutting
DougMeil
ebortnik
EliCollins
ErIc14
EricYang
Eugene Koontz
FlavioJunqueira
FreemanJackson
Garrett Wu
GaryHelmling
GavinMcDonald
GiridharanKesavan
GridEngine
HiteshShah
Jim McDonald
JoeSchaefer
johanoskarsson
JohnSichi
KenWeiner
kimchy
KonstantinShvachko
LeeSchlesinger
ltomuno
LukeLu
luisdans
mahadevkonar
MaheswaranSathiamoorthy
Marakana
MattFoley
MateiZaharia
MichaelNoll
MichaelSchmitz
michaelsys24
NigelDaley
OtisGospodnetic
OwenOMalley
PhilPennock
QwertyManiac
SBertram
SebastianBazley
SomeOtherAccount
stack
SteveLoughran
TedDunning
ToddLipcon
TomWhite
ShaneCurcuru
SteveLoughran
VladKorolev
VinodKumarVavilapalli

Re: locking down wiki.apache.org/hadoop

Posted by Owen O'Malley <ow...@hortonworks.com>.
SomeOtherAccount is a committer and has done some great work on
cleaning up the wikis.

-- Owen

Re: locking down wiki.apache.org/hadoop

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Steve.

I happen to contributing to Hadoop too from time to time ;)
Please make sure that my name is added to the correct list.

    Wiki account is KonstantinIBoudnik

Thanks,
  Cos

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
On 06/12/11 18:57, Eric Baldeschwieler wrote:
> Seems like a good idea.
>
> We do want powered by submission to be as low friction as possible.  Can we do a form ->  jira or something, so we grant access and add their content on one submission?
>
> Any thoughts?

Would make sense, have something at the top of the page that says ask on
the -dev list to get a login. That way they are en-route to contributing
stuff back

Re: locking down wiki.apache.org/hadoop

Posted by Eric Baldeschwieler <er...@hortonworks.com>.
Cool. Thanks