Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chris Wilson <ch...@wapmx.com> on 2001/11/12 19:25:18 UTC

Using Tomcat 4.0 with Apache...

I appologise if this is a newbie type question but I'm new to Tomcat.

I've installed Tomcat 4.0 & apache on an x86 linux system - they both
appear to be working & I can use servlets through apache. However it
appears that when I have some directory in which I want to put a webapp
then I cannot do anything else with that directory - how can I make sure
that if Tomcat cannot handle a request then it passes it back to apache to
handle as normal. I think this is something I've seen done with resin. Let
me give an example:

~chris/public_html contains a website & a WEB-INF directory
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/chris is a symlink to ~chris/public_html
my httpd.conf includes WebAppDeploy chris conn /~chris

Here's what I'm trying to achieve:

1 If a request comes in for
http://hostname/~chris/servlet/com.wapmx.Someservlet then tomcat should
call Someservlet.service(...)
2 If a request comes in for http://hostname/~chris/ then Apache should
check for index's as per it's config file or if one is not found generate
a dir listing
3 If a request comes in for http://hostname/~chris/page.shtml then Apache
should serve the SSI page
4 If a request comes in for http://hostname/~chris/MyServlet (which has
been configured in web.xml) then Tomcat should call the servlet

With my setup, for each of the above I get:

1 Works fine
2 Tomcat ignores the apache config and displays a dir listing despite an
index.shtml file being present and mod_dir setup accordingly
3 Tomcat barfs
4 Works fine

Is it ever going to be possible to get mod_webapp to work in this way
or do I have to keep all my servlet stuff completely seperate from the
rest of my pages?

If mod_webapps intention just to essentially make apache proxy requests
for a particular directory to another server (tomcat) and if so are there
any projects underway to write a more useful apache module that would
interact more cleanly with other apache settings & modules?

Best regards,

Chris

--
Chris Wilson <ch...@wapmx.com>