Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Jung, Eric (Contractor)" <ej...@russellmellon.com> on 2004/01/16 19:23:22 UTC

[commons] archives assistance

Hi,
This is a general question for all commons projects, since they share the same mailing list:

1. Why do they all share the same mailing list?

2. (More importantly) I can't find a means to search the archives by project. For example, searching on "[Configuration]" in mail subjects at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com results in (a) the brackets being removed from the search criteria and (b) all mailing lists (not just jakarta-commons) being searched -- there is no "search by subject within mailing list x" option.

I get similar results from http://www.mail-archive.com; brackets are removed from search criteria, so searching on "[Configuration]" yields results with every email that contains the word "configuration" -- needless to say, this an overwhelming number and spans all projects in the Commons.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Eric H. Jung
Russell/Mellon Analytical Services
1-617-382-1373
Everett, MA, USA

Re: [commons] archives assistance

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Quoting "Jung, Eric (Contractor)" <ej...@russellmellon.com>:

> Hi,
> This is a general question for all commons projects, since they share the
> same mailing list:
>
> 1. Why do they all share the same mailing list?

I know you got your specific technical concerns addressed later in this thread,
but I'd like to express a personal opinion that the fact that all the commons
projects share dev and user mailing lists has been criticial to the overall
success of Jakarta Commons.  In particular, the cross-fertilization we see of
developers picking up on needs in related subprojects would have *never*
happened if all the dev lists were separate.

> 2. (More importantly) I can't find a means to search the archives by project.
> For example, searching on "[Configuration]" in mail subjects at
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com results in (a) the brackets being removed from
> the search criteria and (b) all mailing lists (not just jakarta-commons)
> being searched -- there is no "search by subject within mailing list x"
> option.

That sounds like an appropriate bug report to the mail archive server you're
using :-).

> I get similar results from http://www.mail-archive.com; brackets are removed
> from search criteria, so searching on "[Configuration]" yields results with
> every email that contains the word "configuration" -- needless to say, this
> an overwhelming number and spans all projects in the Commons.
>
> Thank you for any suggestions.
>
> Eric H. Jung
> Russell/Mellon Analytical Services
> 1-617-382-1373
> Everett, MA, USA

Craig McClanahan

Re: [commons] archives assistance

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
i suspect that some folks (tetsuya kitahata is the one that springs to
mind) are able to work wonders with the raw mbox from apache. i think
that he uses perl scripts (or something like that).

i've always thought that it'd be really cool to push my (extensive)
personal mail archives into a database and write some kind of front end
to allow advanced queries (but this has never really got further than a
thought).

if you've got an advanced email client (like the one that comes with
macOSX) then one option would be to download the whole mbox and run an
imap server from it. you then use the email sorting engine to filter
all '[configuration]' emails into a single folder.

email archives are repositories of knowledge and automated analysis of
email archives is something that seems like to grow in importance. i've
always wondered whether analytic facilities could be added to james (or
maybe they're already there, i just haven't look deep enough).

- robert

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Jung, Eric (Contractor) wrote:

> Hi,
> This is a general question for all commons projects, since they share the same mailing list:
>
> 1. Why do they all share the same mailing list?

It helps to build a community rather than lots of tiny sub-projects.

> 2. (More importantly) I can't find a means to search the archives by project. For example, searching on "[Configuration]" in mail subjects at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com results in (a) the brackets being removed from the search criteria and (b) all mailing lists (not just jakarta-commons) being searched -- there is no "search by subject within mailing list x" option.

Yep. I hoped the apache mailing list archive would be able to handle it,
but it hangs when you enter [lang] into it.

No idea on how to properly search this. Even google goes and ignores
puncutation I believe.

Hen