Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "Sixten F. K. Otto 98" <Si...@Alum.Dartmouth.ORG> on 2001/02/09 07:19:53 UTC

Two bugs

So, on my way to working on patches for the dependancy of Slide on the
Java2-only collections, I ran into two other bugs. It doesn't seem that either
should be too hard to fix.

1. This is a configuration thing, not a code problem. The build.sh script is
hardwired to look for the existence of the file $JAVA_HOME/lib/tools.jar . The
problem is that this file will not necessarily exist on every Java-enabled
platform. In this particular case, I'm running MacOS X Public Beta (which has
J2SE 1.2), and the set of jars is different.

The better thing to do would be to determined whether the javac class can be
found. My (hopefully temporary!) workaround was to symlink the jar containing
the javac class to the expected location of tools.jar.

2. There is a J2SE 1.3 dependency in at least the following place:

jakarta-slide/src/webdav/client/src/org/apache/webdav/lib/WebdavClient.java:282:
Method shutdownOutput() not found in class java.net.Socket

This method was introduced in 1.3, and does not exist in the earlier versions
which Slide purports to support.

Sixten

Re: Two bugs

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> So, on my way to working on patches for the dependancy of Slide on the
> Java2-only collections, I ran into two other bugs. It doesn't seem that
either
> should be too hard to fix.
>
> 1. This is a configuration thing, not a code problem. The build.sh script
is
> hardwired to look for the existence of the file $JAVA_HOME/lib/tools.jar .
The
> problem is that this file will not necessarily exist on every Java-enabled
> platform. In this particular case, I'm running MacOS X Public Beta (which
has
> J2SE 1.2), and the set of jars is different.
>
> The better thing to do would be to determined whether the javac class can
be
> found. My (hopefully temporary!) workaround was to symlink the jar
containing
> the javac class to the expected location of tools.jar.

I think I'll just remove the test, then. The build script was cut and pasted
from an old TC build script (I'm not using javac in Slide anyway).

> 2. There is a J2SE 1.3 dependency in at least the following place:

jakarta-slide/src/webdav/client/src/org/apache/webdav/lib/WebdavClient.java:
282:
> Method shutdownOutput() not found in class java.net.Socket
>
> This method was introduced in 1.3, and does not exist in the earlier
versions
> which Slide purports to support.

I had reports of problems with that call.
I now use reflection, but unfortunately that means that some HTTP/1.0 calls
(those with a request body and which do not specify a content length) will
fail when not running on JDK 1.3, depending on how the server behaves.
If anyone could suggest a workaround, that would be great.

Remy