Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mike Zimmerman <ta...@spamcop.net> on 2002/07/19 00:00:34 UTC

Filtering HEAD requests

Evening folks,

	I run a web server that requires authentication. Occasionally, we get a
run of people trying to crack a password using HEAD requests.
Then question I have is how I can completely reject HEAD requests, since it
seems to be written as a part of GET. Is there a way to do this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mike

Re: Filtering HEAD requests

Posted by Bruno Wolff III <br...@wolff.to>.
On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 18:00:34 -0400,
  Mike Zimmerman <ta...@spamcop.net> wrote:
> Evening folks,
>
> 	I run a web server that requires authentication. Occasionally, we
> 	get a run of people trying to crack a password using HEAD requests.
> Then question I have is how I can completely reject HEAD requests, since it
> seems to be written as a part of GET. Is there a way to do this?

You can use mod_rewrite to block HEAD requests by checking REQUEST_METHOD.
However I don't know if that will be before or after the authentication
check. If it is after it won't do you any good.

Re: Filtering HEAD requests

Posted by "Matus \"fantomas\" Uhlar" <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
-> 	I run a web server that requires authentication. Occasionally, we get a
-> run of people trying to crack a password using HEAD requests.
-> Then question I have is how I can completely reject HEAD requests, since it
-> seems to be written as a part of GET. Is there a way to do this?

theoretically yes. but i would not recommend it. HEAD is used by proxies to
check if documents in cache aren't outdated and this would break this
behaviour
--
 Matus "fantomas" Uhlar, uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
 Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?