Posted to general@gump.apache.org by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com> on 2004/06/02 20:01:42 UTC

SVN for Avalon and Forrest

When do folks thing we ought (1) move the Avalon repository to SVN and (2)
create on for Forrest (congrats on TLP) as SVN? Ought we let things settle a
little while?

regards,

Adam
--
Experience the Unwired Enterprise:
http://www.sybase.com/unwiredenterprise

Re: SVN for Avalon and Forrest

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> When do folks thing we ought (1) move the Avalon repository to SVN and (2)
> create on for Forrest (congrats on TLP) as SVN? Ought we let things settle a
> little while?

I think most avalon is now safe to move (if Niclas says so is a good
rule!). Would not change excalibur (excalibur-xxx) or fortress (probably
named excalibur-fortress now), as that'll be moving around a few times soon.

cheers!

- LSD

Re: SVN for Avalon and Forrest

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Saturday 05 June 2004 03:35, Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> Can you explain what you need to do (and perhaps why) and we'll see if we
> need to add functionality, or not.

Ok, when/if I get to that point :o)

Cheers
Niclas
--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

Re: SVN for Avalon and Forrest

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> On Friday 04 June 2004 14:22, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> > which means it literally expects an executable command inside the
> > working directory (note the ./ at the start and the hard-coded .sh at
> > the end of the expression).  You can't run arbitrary command lines
> > with <script> in "traditional" Gump.
>
> That is not what I expected, since you somehow manage to bootstrap Ant,
and
> then use Ant for all other builds, I was 'expecting' (=not really thinking
at
> all) that a similar mechanism could be used.

I think this thread is getting lost in itself. Basically if you have a
script, it can be run. If that script happens to compile some java, it can
then run it (at least via ant). That said, we could add a specialized
'builder' like we have for Ant/Maven/Script w/o woes.

As Leo would (did) say:

    'There's no such thing as "friend of gump". Gump is a friend of
everyone. He's a skilled, automated, intelligent, reproducible beta (nay,
alpha) tester.'

If it isn't easy to configure/add new builders, we'll fix that...

Can you explain what you need to do (and perhaps why) and we'll see if we
need to add functionality, or not.

regards

Adam

Re: SVN for Avalon and Forrest

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 03 June 2004 23:07, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> The worst case would mean you'd have to add a small shell/batch
>> script wrapper over your command line invocation.
>
> the command-line shouldn't need any arguments.

Not because of any arguments.

I'm not sure how support for <script> is implemented in Gumpy, but
"traditional Gump" on Unix looks like

  <xsl:template match="script">
    <xsl:text>eval "./</xsl:text>
    <xsl:value-of select="@name"/>
    <xsl:text>.sh $OUT 2&gt;&amp;1"&#10;</xsl:text>

    <xsl:text>test $? -ge 1 &amp;&amp; export STATUS="FAILED"&#10;</xsl:text>
  </xsl:template>

which means it literally expects an executable command inside the
working directory (note the ./ at the start and the hard-coded .sh at
the end of the expression).  You can't run arbitrary command lines
with <script> in "traditional" Gump.

> So it started out as a small project to see, "How hard could it
> possibly be to do the build system in Java?", and to my surprise not
> that hard at all.

Sounds like what James thought when he started to invent Ant 8-)

Stefan

Re: SVN for Avalon and Forrest

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 03 June 2004 23:07, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> > Q; I am working on a system (which may become the way of building in
> > Avalon), where the build system is built by Ant, and then Gump would
> > need to call a command-line util for the main build process instead
> > of Ant. I think that is possible, is it?
>
> Probably using <script> instead of <ant> inside the descriptor.  The
> worst case would mean you'd have to add a small shell/batch script
> wrapper over your command line invocation.

the command-line shouldn't need any arguments.

> I hope your tool will not use installed jars in any way ;-)

I will get back to you on that. I'll keep it in mind, but shouldn't be a big
problem.
There is a handler for dependencies, which I need to teach some Gump tricks,
possibly including generation of the Gump descriptor at some point.

Btw, the reason for this whole experiment is that I am somewhat tired of XML
scripting languages, that are hard to maintain, slow to run and in case of
Maven too shakey under the hood.
So it started out as a small project to see, "How hard could it possibly be to
do the build system in Java?", and to my surprise not that hard at all.

Well, I'm ~6-7days into it now, and have far more than I could have imagined
(compile, jars, site generation, dependency resolution/downloads, and jar
repository uploads), and it is so 'fast' and fun to use, that I have grown
very fond of it. With no XML, things fly !
We'll see what the destiny holds for it.

Cheers
Niclas
--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

Re: SVN for Avalon and Forrest

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 03 June 2004 20:24, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Adam R. B. Jack <aj...@trysybase.com> wrote:
> > When do folks thing we ought (1) move the Avalon repository to SVN
>
> I think we'd need help from Niclas or Leo or Stephen or any other of
> the Avalon folks.  The directory layout seems to have changed and I
> don't feel like I could adapt the descriptors properly.  Maybe it is
> /repos/asf/avalon/trunk/legacy but I wouldn't want to second guess.

Expect us to handle it when we have the new codebase 'operational'... Just lay
back and enjoy the ride.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Adam R. B. Jack <aj...@trysybase.com> wrote:

> When do folks thing we ought (1) move the Avalon repository to SVN

I think we'd need help from Niclas or Leo or Stephen or any other of
the Avalon folks.  The directory layout seems to have changed and I
don't feel like I could adapt the descriptors properly.  Maybe it is
/repos/asf/avalon/trunk/legacy but I wouldn't want to second guess.

> and (2) create on for Forrest (congrats on TLP) as SVN?

Forrest hosts the descriptor in its own repo, not much we could do.

Stefan

Re: SVN for Avalon and Forrest

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> Oops, isn't this the wrong list?
> Infrastructure@ or am I missing some valid point here ?

I was somewhat confused by the answer. I meant in Gump configuration... :)

regards

Adam

Re: SVN for Avalon and Forrest

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.