Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com> on 2013/12/18 13:34:19 UTC

Flex Showcase legal aspects

Hi,

A few app submissions (eg. "6play" https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-34005 ) are made by what looks like developers sub-contracting for another company.

Do you think there is a legal issue to include these apps (eg. the screenshots) without the permission of the owning company (m6 French TV channel).

Maurice

Maurice Amsellem
SYSTAR R&D - BusinessBridgeFX

Re: Flex Showcase legal aspects

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 12/18/13 12:22 PM, "Erick Ghaumez" <er...@rxlabz.com> wrote:
>As I¹ve said, the owner is « big » TV group, my contract is with a
>subsidiary company in charge of digital projects. I don¹t know if the one
>who signs my contract is legally authorized to give this permission. But
>if I understand, if he gives one, it becomes his responsibility ?
I am not a lawyer, and could be completely wrong.  I'm still waiting on a
response from legal.  I don't think it would be fair to get authorization
from someone who you believe is also naïve about these topics, so when you
do ask your contact, I would suggest mentioning that this is to get
official/legal/binding permission.  If that person then claims to have the
authority, then unless you know for sure that's wrong, I don't think you
have to try to disprove it.

Business tend to want to control who uses their name and other valuable
assets and how they are associated with others.  Individuals do too.  Just
because I can take a picture of you sitting outside your favorite café
doesn't mean the café owner can then promote the fact that you love that
café without at least letting you know first.

-ALex

Re: Flex Showcase legal aspects

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 12/18/13 2:47 PM, "Maurice Amsellem" <ma...@systar.com>
wrote:

>Wow. I hate blurred images, especially when it's for legal reasons, and I
>think I will not do justice to the really nice app you made.
>But that's only a personal view.
>I really don't know what needs to be done.
>Maybe you should ask the person you know at M6 (CTO ?) like what was
>suggested.
Asking the owners for permission may actually result in permission to use
the images without blurring.  It might take time for their legal counsel
to sort it all out, but it is possible.  Remember, it theoretically
benefits the TV broadcaster and the TV show's producers to have favorable
viewing of their assets.  They or you may have to ask the show's producer.
 Or they may have a blanket agreement.  The TV broadcaster probably
already has permission to promote the fact that they broadcast show X.

-Alex

Posted by Erick Ghaumez <er...@rxlabz.com>.

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
  To counter your point about commercial use never being fair use:; I'll
quote TechDirt (
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131125/10182325360/beastie-boys-say-they-dont-want-music-ads-fair-use-doesnt-care.shtml
) quoting a Supreme Court ruling (
http://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/510/569/case.html )

[StartQuote]
...the Supreme Court explicitly stated in /Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music,
Inc./ that commercial use can be fair use
<http://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/510/569/case.html>, noting
that if commercial use made things automatic infringement, it would
destroy fair use:

/If, indeed, commerciality carried presumptive force against a finding
of fairness, the presumption would swallow nearly all of the
illustrative uses listed in the preamble paragraph of § 107, including
news reporting, comment, criticism, teaching, scholarship, and research,
since these activities "are generally conducted for profit in this
country." Harper & Row, supra, at 592 (Brennan, J., dissenting).
Congress could not have intended such a rule, which certainly is not
inferable from the common-law cases... /
[EndQuote]

  The usual caveats apply: I am not a lawyer and being legally right
will not prevent you from getting sued into oblivion by a more powerful
party.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: Flex Showcase legal aspects

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Within the USA, if you do work-for-hire, the IP rights and everything
associated with it generally go to employer.  That is, unless you expressly
reserve those rights.

Every country is different.  Some of my customers are happy to have me tell
their story -- others don't want people to know who worked on it in the
background (or what technology is used).  Always best to check.

-Nick

Posted by Erick Ghaumez <er...@rxlabz.com>.
Le 18 déc. 2013 à 17:45, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> a écrit :

> On 12/18/13 7:00 AM, "Erick Ghaumez" <er...@rxlabz.com> wrote:
>
>> I obviously understand these legal doubts, but IMHO for the use of this 3
>> screenshots, it will be endless.
>> What kind of permission can be legal ? Is there a template document
>> somewhere ?
>> I can ask to the M6Web's CTO ( M6Web is  the subsidiary company which is
>> in charge of digital projects ), but will it be legally good enough ?
>> Does Apache need a CEO or lawyer/notary validated document ?
>> Plus, since M6 is a french Group, it will depends on french laws...
>> I will tell them that I added 6play in the Apache Flex showcase list, if
>> it¹s a problem for them I¹ll warn you. Does this sounds ok for you ?
> Yes, contact whoever actually owns this work and notify them that you
> would like to put their site on our showcase, and that you'll need to
> copy/paste their permission into a public JIRA issue.  Then it is their
> responsibility to make sure the right person authorizes it.  At Apache, we
> have a VP Branding who would do that.  I don't know how big the owning
> company is, but they should know who can sign for them.  Someone had to
> authorize the contract that is paying you, so they know how signing
> authority works.

:) sure, they probably know how signing authority works, but i don’t.
Sorry, i was maybe kind of naive to think I can just take some screenshots of my work and use it to try to promote the SDK I’d used to make it. Indeed, it’s my work, but not my property.
As I’ve said, the owner is « big » TV group, my contract is with a subsidiary company in charge of digital projects. I don’t know if the one who signs my contract is legally authorized to give this permission. But if I understand, if he gives one, it becomes his responsibility ?
I'll try to get one.

Thanks

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
OK for me.
Also, can you include a small copyright notice in the description, something like "M6, 6Ter, W9 and 6play are registered trademarks of ....  ".

thanks

I obviously understand these legal doubts, but IMHO for the use of this 3 screenshots, it will be endless.
What kind of permission can be legal ? Is there a template document somewhere ?
I can ask to the M6Web's CTO ( M6Web is  the subsidiary company which is in charge of digital projects ), but will it be legally good enough ? Does Apache need a CEO or lawyer/notary validated document ?
Plus, since M6 is a french Group, it will depends on french laws...
I will tell them that I added 6play in the Apache Flex showcase list, if it's a problem for them I'll warn you. Does this sounds ok for you ?

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
Done.  (bot update pending)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
I undestand.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Also, remember, outside of the US, most - especially smaller - companies
don't have legal teams on retainer...

EdB

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I think enough information has been received that it would be hard to
claim we weren't aware.

-Alex

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.

Posted by Erick Ghaumez <er...@rxlabz.com>.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
Thanks Alex,
I will then include the screenshots and the app in showcase.
We could then withdraw them easily in case someone complains.

Maurice

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
Thanks, Eric,