Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Roozbeh Zabihollahi <ya...@yahoo.com> on 2003/12/10 14:00:20 UTC

Performance Recommendation

Hi,
I am tomcat user, as all of readers know, tomcat is
very good Jsp Container for developping and not good
for production mode (cause of its performance).

I installed and run 'RexIPAppServer' ,that says it has
best performance, and compare Servlets it generates
for JSPs and Tomcat Generated Servlets.

I see 'RexIPAppServer' construct static strings that
JSP page use with "Static String"s. same as:

  static final char[] _jspText_18="\" >\r\n
".toCharArray();

but Tomcat doesn't distinguish (or it not want to do)
between Static and Dynamic Strings and print them in
dynamic way in service method.

I want to ask from Tomcat Developers, that eather
Tomcat Developers does not want to implement this
feature or not?

and, could you help me to develop this feature,
because i think this is exponentialy improve
performance. ^-^

Best Regards,
Roozbeh Zabihollahi.

Re: Performance Recommendation

Posted by Roozbeh Zabihollahi <ya...@yahoo.com>.
Hi
I see feature 'genStrAsCharArray' in Tomcat 5.

sorry, I searching for it in Tomcat 4, I found it in
Tomcat 5.

Sorry for last mail.
Tanx a lot

Re: Performance Recommendation

Posted by Peter Lin <tc...@yahoo.com>.

to put things in better context. Most of my work experience has been building complex applications with web front ends. In my case, most of the content is dynamic and the static html is minimal. Therefore, my experience with regard to performance is biased by the type of applications I work on. In 90% of the cases where I saw a performance issue, it was the result of how data was being fetched and cached.

when I worked on a wireless platform, 90% of the site produced pages using multiple data sources. Some were third party and some local. In some cases, the data was scraped from a HTML site and presented to a variety of devices using html, hdml, wml and xhtml. I don't remember the exact performance numbers, but the query times were more than 75% of the overall request processing time (not counting sending the response). Obviously in these types of systems, trying to optimize 5% for static strings would result in no benefit in performance or scalability.

On the otherhand, if the jsp pages are mostly static, then you it probably would be worth it. I tend to leave this type of optimizations as the last item, after I've exhausted all other options.

peter

Roozbeh Zabihollahi <ya...@yahoo.com> wrote:
I Think there is misUnderstandings here,

first i didnt said that tomcat works "ONLY" for 'some
development/demo site'. but I mean "WHY Tomcat must
not use for production mode?" , as Apache, That it the
best known Web Server in the world, in performance,
security and many other major factors. I ask this
question or recommend this option cause of I Love
Tomcat, and I work with it several years.

second, I think, 5% performance upgrade is very good
for a version update, and i think if we use static
byte arrays instead of normal strings, in normal
JSPs(because they have very much static strings)
performace will be more increased than 5%.

anyway, JSPs is very small part of Web Site System.
Application Server is very bigger part of it. then
optimizing servers always increasing performance
better and more significant. but I know, WebApp
architecture and Design is very very important for
performance.

Thanx for your Reply.
Roozbeh

Re: Performance Recommendation

Posted by Roozbeh Zabihollahi <ya...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Peter Lin <tc...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Roozbeh Zabihollahi wrote:
> Hi,
> I am tomcat user, as all of readers know, tomcat is
> very good Jsp Container for developping and not good
> for production mode (cause of its performance).
>
> I installed and run 'RexIPAppServer' ,that says it has
> best performance, and compare Servlets it generates
> for JSPs and Tomcat Generated Servlets.
>
> I see 'RexIPAppServer' construct static strings that
> JSP page use with "Static String"s. same as:
>
>   static final char[] _jspText_18="\" >\r\n
> ".toCharArray();
>
> but Tomcat doesn't distinguish (or it not want to do)
> between Static and Dynamic Strings and print them in
> dynamic way in service method.
>
> I want to ask from Tomcat Developers, that eather
> Tomcat Developers does not want to implement this
> feature or not?

There's a flag in Jasper now for that. Look in conf/web.xml.

> and, could you help me to develop this feature,
> because i think this is exponentialy improve
> performance. ^-^

Hmmm, well, it won't, sorry. 5% at most is what you should expect ;-)

Rémy

RE: Performance Recommendation

Posted by George Sexton <gs...@mhsoftware.com>.
I have done performance testing of a real world app against Orion,
Resin, Tomcat 3.3, 4.0, and 4.1 and noticed little or no difference.
Certainly nothing significant enough to spend money on.