Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org> on 2019/05/29 02:50:31 UTC

[DISCUSS] Component/Plugin repository

With the impending support for metrics plugins [1] as well as other
pluggable components which have been discussed in the past (e.g. Kafka
bridge [2] proposed by Mike Pearce) I think it would great to have an
official place where these things could be hosted and potentially included
as part of a broker release. Does anybody have any opinion on this?

Justin

[1] https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/pull/2681
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARTEMIS-1478

Re: [DISCUSS] Component/Plugin repository

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
I would start with a single repo for all the plugins we can add.
The way we are set now, a single git repo is a good way to start.
We can always revist and move a component out to its own repo later.

As for the day to day dev, discussions and adding components, this is
no different than what we have now.. Pull Requests will have
discussions associated with them.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Component/Plugin repository

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
I think there is an element of difficulty in documenting precise
criteria for plugins, as to a certain extent what the plugin is (and
to smaller degree perhaps even what its implementation entails) could
influence how necessary or appropriate people think it is to be part
of this project, and might weigh against particular choices depending
on views on certain matters such as licensing (more below). I guess
thats precisely the type of uncertainty you are seeking to avoid, but
I'm not sure I see an easy path to do that in advance in an entirely
generic way.

The main things would seem to be general consensus from the PMC that
the plugin is something they think should be a component part of this
project as opposed to its own, and that there is clear support both
for maintaining and releasing it going forward. At least 3 binding
votes would be needed for it being released, so I'd expect that many
or preferably more to be in obvious support before it is established
as a plugin.

On plugins being shuffled off, I think with it now seeming individual
repositories is the preferred route this becomes even more similar to
any of the existing components such as the brokers or clients
themselves. If at some point it seems there is a lack of support
needed to continue maintaining and releasing a plugin, and releases
seem/are necessary but arent happening, then a discussion can be had
on their future. Maybe that prompts a revival of interest which is
good, or maybe its established that the plugin goes away at some
chosen point if things havent changed by then, or maybe that time has
been and gone an its shuffled off there and then.

On "Any third party dependency plugin including dependency to third
party client jar must be apache license approved. (E.g. we can have
plugin or extension for a closed source commerical tool)", am I right
to think the "we can have" was meant to be 'we cant have' or 'can we
have'? In general I'd say keeping things ASLv2 compatible is a good
idea, though per the recent "LICENSE ISSUE" thread optional
functionality can have Category X dependencies, and such plugins would
usually seem to fit that categorisation of optional. This would be a
choice for the PMC on what they want to permit, but is perhaps even a
bit of a 'is this particular plugin of benefit warranting that hassle'
balance, which per my opening can be hard to define up front - unless
for this specific case everything agrees now the answer is always that
its never warranted and those things must live elsewhere.

Robbie

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
We can create a component on JIRA, and add JIRAs towards those
components. Same way that we do with native now.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Component/Plugin repository

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
There are groups that could be used to ease such things (though again,
its not difficult without) but infra seemed to explicitly move away
from using them in the past, I think as they needed to administer them
centrally with they didnt have bandwidth for. Perhaps some of that
might have changed.

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by mi...@me.com.INVALID.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael André Pearce <mi...@me.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Component/Plugin repository

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.
The more I think about it I think I am also in favor of a separate repo per
plugin for the reasons Andy stated.  I think it will be quite common where
some plugins have low activity and not updated much and others are quite
active and it would be pretty confusing to be releasing several versions of
a plugin that hasn't changed.

Keep the scope small and have things be released independently.

Posted by Andy Taylor <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
> All questions need to be same

@Michael Pearce perhaps it's my english as second language here, but
this to me sounded like "All your basis are belong to us" :)

Can you explain what you meant here?

Re: [DISCUSS] Component/Plugin repository

Posted by mi...@me.com.INVALID.
What about the kafka plugin, or influx plugin...

All questions need to be same

Get Outlook for Android

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 2:27 PM +0100, "Clebert Suconic" <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:

there's also another technical issue when we create / separate these components.
They will likely depend on the broker...

And how are we going to consume these components on the broker? Have
the users picking them and installing them manually?

idea:
We could have the CLI doing such thing for users, with an optional CLI
on the create:

./artemis create --plugin Prometheus

But then this would create a circular dependency between the
repositories, what makes it difficult.

How would it be consumed? Just having the user copying it ?

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Component/Plugin repository

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Component/Plugin repository

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "michael.andre.pearce" <mi...@me.com.INVALID>.
Thats a concern for me. Also the setup for every repo.I think personally having a single repo will be easier for starters. We can always split out groups of modules later, or even one per module. If it gets too much.But for a first go i think having a single repo for plugins and other extensions will be better.Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com> Date: 31/05/2019  20:12  (GMT+00:00) To: dev@activemq.apache.org Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Component/Plugin repository On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 2:42 PM Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:>> I probably would do one each, yes. Its the easiest separation, keeps> things independent and focused from the start and can avoid various> hassles later.>> I'd perhaps consider 'all <foo> stuff' aggregation (e.g foo => metrics), but really I dont personally see the benefits as outweighing> the other things a lot of the time. I dont think anyone is charging us> per repo.No, but does it require a vote each time we spin a new component?>> With a shared repo I guess you would just tag everything, or else> start down the route of complications that also make individual repos> seem nice. Could use Subversion, subdir tags were easy there :)>> (Aside, there is one project, ActiveMQ. These would be components).>> On Fri, 31 May 2019 at 17:24, Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:> >> > I agree with you, and that was my preference as well. I was trying to> > understand if one git per component is what Robbie was suggesting.> >> > Although there's an issue though, when you have one super git for many> > independent components, how would you tag releases?> >> > each fodler would be in fact an independent project, with no> > correlation between the projects.> >> > On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 8:00 AM <mi...@me.com.invalid> wrote:> > >> > > I think one git repo per thing maybecome a bit too scattery. Id go for one repo with multiple modules.> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > Get Outlook for Android> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 7:42 PM +0100, "Clebert Suconic" <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 12:25 PM Robbie Gemmell> > >  wrote:> > > >> > > > I would put them outwith the broker repository. Not really because of> > > > bloat, which was only a very small part of why I didnt think the> > > > proposed Kafka Bridge should live inside the broker repo+package for> > > > example, but thats certainly also something to keep in mind given the> > > > build is pretty large/slow already.> > > >> > > > I wouldnt say a single plugin repository is necessarily a great idea,> > > > it can tend to become a bit of a dumping ground for idea-of-the-week,> > > > but the main thing for me would be that components should be> > > > independently released if there were to be a bunch of optional> > > > components with mostly unrelated functionality in the same place (e.g,> > > > the ideas mentioned in this thread already seem mostly independent).> > >> > > So, what do you suggest? one gitRepo per plugin?> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> >> >> > --> > Clebert Suconic-- Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Component/Plugin repository

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Component/Plugin repository

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
I would put them outwith the broker repository. Not really because of
bloat, which was only a very small part of why I didnt think the
proposed Kafka Bridge should live inside the broker repo+package for
example, but thats certainly also something to keep in mind given the
build is pretty large/slow already.

I wouldnt say a single plugin repository is necessarily a great idea,
it can tend to become a bit of a dumping ground for idea-of-the-week,
but the main thing for me would be that components should be
independently released if there were to be a bunch of optional
components with mostly unrelated functionality in the same place (e.g,
the ideas mentioned in this thread already seem mostly independent).

Robbie

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 12:50 AM <mi...@me.com.invalid> wrote:

> What ever the agreed place is i would want to see the same rules being applied across the board as noted this isnt the first time this has cropped up.

It's simple... if the integration is soft, make it a plugin.

We could have a framework defined on how plugins are consumed. That
would allow a whole set of features to be implemented.

> That said. If we go seperate repo route. We could move other bits like docker and operator sub modules to sub repos there so they can have possibly a different lifecycle.

We could.. however Docker is a bit dependent on the release. if we go
to the apache infra docker support, it would need to be part of the
repository. (not a good example on this case)

> In particular comment to Prometheus plugin. Would it be worth while also providing some base grafana dashboard people can just import to complement the metrics so end users have an even quicker onboarding journey.

It could be part of such external repository I think.

Re: [DISCUSS] Component/Plugin repository

Posted by mi...@me.com.INVALID.
What ever the agreed place is i would want to see the same rules being applied across the board as noted this isnt the first time this has cropped up.

That said. If we go seperate repo route. We could move other bits like docker and operator sub modules to sub repos there so they can have possibly a different lifecycle.

In particular comment to Prometheus plugin. Would it be worth while also providing some base grafana dashboard people can just import to complement the metrics so end users have an even quicker onboarding journey.

Get Outlook for Android

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 2:09 PM +0100, "Clebert Suconic" <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:

We could have a separate repository for these plugins...

They could be part of our binary distribution (as being consumed), and
we could have special CLI options to activate them.

e.g.: ./artemis create /folder --plugin prometheus

The prometheus plugin would be only applied if such option was applied.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.