Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Mattias J <mj...@expertsystem.se> on 2005/05/12 09:44:29 UTC

Re: [Jakarta-commons Wiki] Update of "JakartaCommonsEtiquette" by SimonKitching

SimonKitching wrote:
>+ Any Jakarta committer (not just commons committers) has the right ask
>for karma (commit access) and have it granted. The right place to ask is
>on the commons-dev mailing list.
>
>+ Commit access to the sandbox is unfortunately '''not''' available to
>people who are not existing Jakarta committers, no matter how good their
>idea. Such projects are generally encouraged to start somewhere like
>sourceforge.net. Once a solid community has been established and existing
>projects are using the component, it may be possible to integrate the
>project direct into commons if the project developers feel that is
>appropriate, and the commons community feels the component is a good fit
>with commons goals.

And if I am not currently a Jakarta commiter, but would like sandbox commit
access for existing sandbox projects?

  /Mattias Jiderhamn

Re: [Jakarta-commons Wiki] Update of "JakartaCommonsEtiquette" by SimonKitching

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On 5/14/05, Mattias J <ma...@expertsystem.se> wrote:
> At 2005-05-14 00:51, Simon Kitching wrote:
> >On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 09:44 +0200, Mattias J wrote:
> > > And if I am not currently a Jakarta commiter, but would like sandbox
> > commit
> > > access for existing sandbox projects?
> >
> >If you're not an ASF committer, then I think the current policy is that
> >no, you can't get commit access to the sandbox. However ... they can
> >always nominate you as a commons committer (or
> >any other relevant ASF project) which then gives you access to the sandbox
> >too.
>
> So you cannot be a commons sandbox only committer?

Correct. The intent of the sandbox is to provide an area in which
existing ASF committers can explore the viability of extracting
potentially common code from an existing ASF code base into a
shareable component. (That intent has been stretched somewhat, but
that is still the real purpose of the sandbox.)

> >The main issue with having commit access is that you need to have signed
> >the appropriate legal forms.
>
> As understand it, you must sign the CLA before anybody else commits your
> patches too.

That depends on the scale of the patches. For most patches that are
bug fixes or perhaps minor enhancements, a CLA is not generally
necessary. (I say "generally" because it may depend on your employer's
policies on IP ownership and contributing to open source projects.)
For substantial contributions, a CLA may be necessary.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Mattias J <ma...@expertsystem.se>.

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 09:44 +0200, Mattias J wrote:
> SimonKitching wrote:
> >+ Any Jakarta committer (not just commons committers) has the right ask
> >for karma (commit access) and have it granted. The right place to ask is
> >on the commons-dev mailing list.
> >
> >+ Commit access to the sandbox is unfortunately '''not''' available to
> >people who are not existing Jakarta committers, no matter how good their
> >idea. Such projects are generally encouraged to start somewhere like
> >sourceforge.net. Once a solid community has been established and existing
> >projects are using the component, it may be possible to integrate the
> >project direct into commons if the project developers feel that is
> >appropriate, and the commons community feels the component is a good fit
> >with commons goals.
>
> And if I am not currently a Jakarta commiter, but would like sandbox commit
> access for existing sandbox projects?

As you may have seen, the page has been corrected to say that any ASF
committer can get access to the sandbox (not just Jakarta committers).

If you're not an ASF committer, then I think the current policy is that
no, you can't get commit access to the sandbox. However if you have
provided a good set of patches to the ASF members who created the
sandbox project, they can always nominate you as a commons committer (or
any other relevant ASF project) which then gives you access to the
sandbox too.

The main issue with having commit access is that you need to have signed
the appropriate legal forms. And also access control isn't
per-sandbox-project, but across the whole sandbox, so people need to
know you a bit first before granting that.

Cheers,

Simon