Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by Alex Williams <li...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/20 09:58:24 UTC

Epic fail = Pivot 2.0 + OpenJDK + IcedTea + FireFox

Hello!
So, Pivot 2.0 released.
Ubuntu 10.10 + Pivot 2.0 + OpenJDK + IcedTea + FireFox...
This does NOT work.
Applet loaded, applet started = gray box, nothing more...

Since Mac OS X switched to OpenJDK, what do you expect to achieve by
this politics of ignoring official opensource implementations of
java???
No future! =(((

Re: Epic fail = Pivot 2.0 + OpenJDK + IcedTea + FireFox

Posted by Alex Williams <li...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all for your answers!

This is was not trolling from my side. I just heard about release 2.0
of Pivot and tried to test it again. Plus, Mac OS X switching (not
finished of course) to OpenJDK...

I understand, most problems in IcedTea plugin and you have limited
resources and voluntary developers...
Unfortunately, kicking IcedTea team is not possible, they more likely
dont care about "pivots" and other stuff...

"If you experience any problems with Pivot (as you are now), we will
be able to help you if you can provide as much relevant information as
possible."

I'm already provided this info in last post... But this will not help to debug.
Only developer can understand what problems in it...
To save time, there are exists preinstalled Ubuntu in virtual machine.
Just install OpenJDK + IcedTea and see that nothing working...

Re: Epic fail = Pivot 2.0 + OpenJDK + IcedTea + FireFox

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@verizon.net>.
> Since Mac OS X switched to OpenJDK, what do you expect to achieve by
> this politics of ignoring official opensource implementations of
> java???

As Sandro noted, this is not a Pivot issue, but a problem with the IcedTea plugin. Further, Pivot works just fine on Mac OS X. I know this for a fact because I develop exclusively on OS X.

Finally, Apple has not yet "switched" to OpenJDK. The current version of Java on the Mac is still the one provided by Apple. It is not clear when they will begin shipping a version of OS X that does not include a JDK, though we might guess that it will be OS X 10.7.

Re: Epic fail = Pivot 2.0 + OpenJDK + IcedTea + FireFox

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, I forget this:

> Since Mac OS X switched to OpenJDK, what do you expect to achieve by this
> politics of ignoring official opensource implementations of java???
I'm sure Apple will fix those parts (and I hope fixing even code that is
causing problems in Linux implementations). And now there is even IBM in
OpenJDK ...

> No future! =(((
I don't know if Applets have future ... but in any case I hope JVM/Plugin
implementors should fix problems, to avoid the dead of Applets. And note
that Java Web Start is a great alternative in many cases.

And, as a side note: starting from Pivot 2.0 we are more focused on
Installable Internet Applications (IIAs).

Sandro

Re: Epic fail = Pivot 2.0 + OpenJDK + IcedTea + FireFox

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Alex,
new version of Pivot but the same (old) question, see here:
http://apache-pivot-users.399431.n3.nabble.com/OpenJDK-IcdeTea-plugin-td1674535.html#a1680300

So, the answer is the same:
applets aren't working not for Pivot issues, but probably for the IcedTea
Plugin ... and as you I'm sorry for this (I'd like to have even a full
Open-source environment to run Applets) but we can't do so much.
You can see this if you install the Sun/Oracle JRE/JDK in the same
environment, and test the same Applets.

So you could try to post some questions (and maybe a detailed log) to
IcedTea developers).
In any case, if there is something inside Pivot to improve this situation,
we are here ...

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Epic fail = Pivot 2.0 + OpenJDK + IcedTea + FireFox

Posted by Luiz Gustavo <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

does any other default applet application works normally?
Is it really a problem with Apache Pivot?

Cheers,
Luiz Gustavo S. de Souza

http://luizgustavoss.wordpress.com
http://luizgustavoss.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/lugustso

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.
Firstly, please understand that Apache Pivot is a volunteer effort with
limited resources, so will never be able to test releases against every
combination of OS, JVM, browser etc.

If you experience any problems with Pivot (as you are now), we will be able
to help you if you can provide as much relevant information as possible.
Things like, but not limited to...
- full version details of the software involved
- how to reproduce the issue
- is the issue intermittent, or does it only manifest occasionally
- details of any investigation you have undertaken yourself
- error messages or logs
- screen shots
- a minimal test case to demonstrate the issue
(The above items apply to all bug or issue reporting, not specifically to
Pivot)

It is also crucial to be able to narrow down the areas to be considered for
investigations.
As Luiz asked, do other applets work fine on the same system with the same
software?

Do earlier versions of Pivot work fine on the same system with the same
software?
Does Pivot 2.0 work fine for non-applets?
Have you tried using another browser?
Are the software components involved up to date?

You mention Mac OS X.  Can you reproduce the same issue on that OS?
If so, what version of browser etc are you using?

Merely stating something doesn't work and then getting upset about it will
not help in resolving the underlying issues.
Unless you are able to reply with some more detail, it is unlikely we will
be able to assist.

Chris