Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Haris Hashim <ha...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/25 14:53:12 UTC

Pos Sync step by step setup confusion

*** Sorry if this is double post. Sent first time using Nablle but have
doubt whether it reach the mailing list ***

Dear everyone, have been trying to setup possync following step by step
instruction here

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Sync+Setup+Notes+and+Example

5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 really does not make sense or missing information.

For instant what is to loaded in step 6? What is meant by "Load EntitySync
record for PULL on MCS". Is this referring to loading xml files? Or
specific step to add record? Where or which screen or what page should this
action be done?

In step 7 I would verry much like to know how to "Load XML data you want to
setup on POS instance to trigger PULL sync". Which XML data? Any XML data?
Where or which screen or what page should this action be done?

My problem is that ofbiz instance to run POS Demo only have the initial
seed data. Which means the POS terminal can not be started wince it is
missing data specific to the pos facility etc. And IMHO above step is the
key to sync data from the full blown Ofbiz instant that is installed with
Demo data.

Correct me if I am wrong and appreciate the help!

Regards,
Haris

Re: Pos Sync step by step setup confusion

Posted by mrfitz <fi...@posintl.com>.
I am a nube...  fitz@posintl.com
I am a software supplier / developer and have sold an old DOS package for
years.  I will be migrating many of my 3000 clients over to OFBiz.  They are
ALL POS Users.
I have several dedicated servers at hosting companies.
I have spent days reading the OFBiz forum, watching videos, working with the
demo data, etc..  but I can't find the answers I need....

1.  I want to set up OFBiz with a local (in store) POS (1 or more terminals)
connected to a local MySQL Database (Got that figured out.)
2.  The majority of my clients only have a single store.
3.  I want to be able to "Host" the backend and the e-commerce apps on one
of my dedicated servers, and Sync from the stores to the host and back.
4.  Some of my clients will have more than 1 store but none will have more
than 5 stores.

I need some "How-to" help on how to accomplish these goals.

I see that I can specify different ports and different databases for each
client,  however, I don't have a clue as to how to run multiple instances of
OFBiz on that dedicated server, so I can have 1 instance per customer.

I also don't understand (very well) how to setup the Synching.  The main doc
is in one place but it talks about the 3 tier scenario, I will only ever
need 2 tiers(pos <-> host).  I couldn't find anything about that.

I noted from a post that I had read that I could "Delete" or "Hide" the apps
I don't need at each location.  What I mean, is that the Backend code and
the e-commerce code are NOT required at each store; and the POS code is not
needed on my dedicated server.  How do I deal with that?

And, if I get all that answered (figured out), then I would also like to
know how to import data, typically Inventory, Customers, Vendors, and
Employees.

My aim is to move as many clients to OFBiz as possible, and I would like to
do it without loosing my mind.
My skills as a developer is LAMP oriented, but I am a Windows guy
(generally, just a Linux user at my hosting co., so I'm crappy at Linux)

Please forgive my ignorance, but I have tried to do it on my own, but I'm
just stuck, as I ran into the same confusion with the docs as Haris posted.

Pleae Help,
MrFitz