Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Ma...@health.gov.ab.ca on 2002/02/25 22:52:46 UTC

Invalid symbols[] parameter fetching Stock Symbols

I recently upgraded from 1.3a2 to 1.3a3dev and now have strange behaviour using
the StockQuotePortlet that I can't seem to figure out.

Logging in as Turbine, table of defined stock symbols is returned fine, although
 they are not the ones I had previously entered and they seem to change on an
hourly basis?
Choose customize, and the editable list of Symbols that used to be there is no
longer there. It's been replaced by two entries, action and template.

Logging in as another non-system user, the table of defined stock symbols is
empty. Again, when I choose customize, I have no way of modifying the list of
quotes to return.
Additionally, an error is logged in jetspeed.log:

[Mon Feb 25 14:21:05 MST 2002] -- ERROR --
     Exception:  java.rmi.RemoteException: Invalid symbols[] parameter
Stack trace follows <followed by the stack trace>

When I try tracing through the code, I see this SYMBOLS parameter is being
loaded into the tempstorage attribute of the TurbineUser class, and retrieved in
 the StockQuoteAction class
via a call through the StockQuoteService interface, implemented by
JetspeedStockQuoteService. This is all fine but:

Where is the JetSpeedStockQuote service running? Locally or is this a service
offered through a remote (Apache) server?
Where is the persistant store for these stock quote lists? I can't find anything
 locally that would allow me to see what the Invalid symbols actually look like
so I can fix them.
How would I now change the list of symbols to display? Without access to that
attribute list in the portlet anymore, do I have to code another customizer?

Mark

RE: Invalid symbols[] parameter fetching Stock Symbols

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
> I recently upgraded from 1.3a2 to 1.3a3dev and now have
> strange behaviour using the StockQuotePortlet that I can't
> seem to figure out.

Yup, you're right, its strange behavior alright. The wrong parameters
are displayed.
In fact, customizing any Velocity portlet is screwed up. Try customizing
HelloVelocity.
I guess we need to trace back the commits on VelocityPortlet ....

> Logging in as Turbine, table of defined stock symbols is
> returned fine, although  they are not the ones I had
> previously entered and they seem to change on an hourly
> basis? Choose customize, and the editable list of Symbols
> that used to be there is no longer there. It's been replaced
> by two entries, action and template.

The stocks are stored on a web service server.
The point of the StockQuotePortlet is to demonstrate how to write a
simple web service portlet using just SOAP.
Everyone who downloads the sample Jetspeed app uses Turbine, and
customizes it.
You can always create your own account.