Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com> on 2022/08/23 01:45:24 UTC

Fwd: users Digest 17 Aug 2022 09:26:06 -0000 Issue 14393 - "BLANK" DIGEST MESSAGE ATTACHMENTS

Recently, message attachments that appear blank in my e-mail client have
been included in the Tomcat users mailing list digest.  Some users'
messages are normally not blank (e.g. Tomcat committers and others).
Messages from other users are.  Replies to "blank" messages by users
whose messages are not blanked include the original message.  My e-mail
client has not changed.

This message is a forward of a digest in which all of the message
attachments appear blank in my e-mail client.  They also appear blank in
GMail.  However, the attachments do include data which may be accessed
by viewing the message source.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is this something that can be fixed
by anyone on this list?  Should it be reported on the Tomcat bugzilla or
somewhere else?

In addition, I have been unable to send e-mail to
users@tomcat.apache.org from terence@tmbsw.com which I have used on this
list since at least 2005.  I receive the following error reply:

> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at apache.org.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
>
> <us...@tomcat.apache.org>:
> Must be sent from an @apache.org address or a subscriber address or an address in LDAP.

Has something changed?  Do I need to reconfigure my mail server?  If so,
in what way?

-Terence Bandoian

users Digest 17 Aug 2022 09:26:06 -0000 Issue 14393

Topics (messages 275525 through 275527)

Re: Getting error on Tomcat Start
275525 by: Mohan T
275526 by: Thomas Meyer
275527 by: Mohan T

Administrivia:

Re: Fwd: users Digest 17 Aug 2022 09:26:06 -0000 Issue 14393 - "BLANK" DIGEST MESSAGE ATTACHMENTS

Posted by "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com>.
On 9/8/2022 9:45 AM, Berneburg, Cris J. - US wrote:
>> 2. Also, some digest messages are blank for me, but other
>> folks' replies to them are not.  It's often original messages
>> from specific users.  Maybe we can compare what we see.
>> Not using multiple client apps, I don't know if the blankness
>> is due to client app misinterpretation or if the problem
>> originates on the server.  I have not been keeping track of
>> how long this has been happening, but it seems to be a
>> "recent" issue, at least for me.  FYI, I use MS Outlook on Exchange Server.
> Well, that's ironic.  :-)  My own messages in digest are blank!
>
> --
> Cris Berneburg
> CACI Senior Software Engineer
>

> ________________________________
>
> This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or subsidiary companies, which may be company sensitive, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above. If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately.

Hi, Cris-

That's funny!

I don't think we can do anything about base64-encoded messages for now.
For some other content transfer encodings, inserting a blank line at the
beginning of the content seems to help.

-Terence Bandoian

RE: Fwd: users Digest 17 Aug 2022 09:26:06 -0000 Issue 14393 - "BLANK" DIGEST MESSAGE ATTACHMENTS

Posted by "Berneburg, Cris J. - US" <cb...@caci.com.INVALID>.

Posted by "Berneburg, Cris J. - US" <cb...@caci.com.INVALID>.
Terence

> I created an issue for the blank digest messages:
> which appears to be due a missing CRLF sequence following
> the header section. It's currently "WAITING FOR INFRA" so
> I don't think anyone has had a chance to look at it.

Thanks for investigating and reporting the issue.  :-)  Glad to know the cause has been identified.

Posted by "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com>.
On 9/8/2022 8:55 AM, Berneburg, Cris J. - US wrote:
> Hi Terence
>
> I have similar issues.
>
>> First, I was suddenly unable to send e-mail to the list using an
>> e-mail address that I have used on the list since at least 2005,
>> as mentioned above. I got around this by (re)subscribing to both
>> users and users-digest. This may be why you found my e-mail
>> address listed twice as a subscriber.
>> What isn't clear is whether a subscription to the list in the non-
>> digest form is now required to send messages to the list. (I was
>> previously subscribed to the digest only and had been able to
>> send messages to the list.) I should be able to test this without
>> too much trouble.
> 1. I stopped being able to reply to the digest after being subscribed for a few years.  Thanks for the idea about subbing to the "users" messaging service.  At Mark's suggestion, I opened a Jira ticket, which is still unresolved, "Subscriber Reply Posts to users@tomcat.apache.org Bounced".  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-23619  I now see individual messages from myself since subscribing to that service (in addition to the digest).
>
>> Second, some attachments in the digest are still not displayed
>> in Thunderbird (shown as blank).I previously mistakenly reported
>> that some digest attachments were not displayed in gmail but that
>> looks to have been due to operator error as I'm now able to see
>> attachments in gmail including those shown as blank in Thunderbird.
> 2. Also, some digest messages are blank for me, but other folks' replies to them are not.  It's often original messages from specific users.  Maybe we can compare what we see.  Not using multiple client apps, I don't know if the blankness is due to client app misinterpretation or if the problem originates on the server.  I have not been keeping track of how long this has been happening, but it seems to be a "recent" issue, at least for me.  FYI, I use MS Outlook on Exchange Server.
>
> --
> Cris Berneburg
> CACI Senior Software Engineer
>

> ________________________________
>
> This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or subsidiary companies, which may be company sensitive, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above. If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately.

Hi, Cris-

Thanks for creating the JIRA issue about not being able to send messages
to the list. From the comments on the issue, it appears they've
identified a problem.

Posted by "Berneburg, Cris J. - US" <cb...@caci.com.INVALID>.
Hi Terence

Posted by "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com>.
On 9/7/2022 1:35 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 07/09/2022 04:22, Terence M. Bandoian wrote:
>
>> It looks like there's something going on with the CRLF sequence that
>> should separate the header section from the body in digest
>> attachments. However, it's difficult to tell where it's happening.
>>
>>  From RFC 5322:
>>
>>     A message consists of header fields (collectively called "the header
>>     section of the message") followed, optionally, by a body. The header
>>     section is a sequence of lines of characters with special syntax as
>>     defined in this specification.  The body is simply a sequence of
>>     characters that follows the header section and is separated from the
>>     header section by an empty line (i.e., a line with nothing preceding
>>     the CRLF).
>>
>> In Thunderbird, in every attachment that is displayed as blank or is
>> missing a leading portion of the message, there is no empty line
>> between the header section and the body in the message source.
>>
>> In gmail, those attachments are displayed, mostly, but when I
>> download the source, there is no empty line separating the header
>> section from the body. I say mostly because, in some cases, gmail
>> does not display a leading portion of the message, but starts after
>> the first blank line.
>>
>> This suggests that the digest is not including empty lines between
>> the header section and body of attachments. I found a couple of
>> digests from 2020 and, in all attachments, an empty line was included
>> between the header section and body.
>>
>> Has the digest code changed recently?
>
> Thanks for looking into this.
>
> ezmlm (the software that runs the mailing lists) was updated around
> the time you first reported these problems.
>
> Please raise the issue of the missing line with the ASF infrastructure
> team as they manage ezmlm for all ASF projects.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Mark

Done.

-Terence

Re: Fwd: users Digest 17 Aug 2022 09:26:06 -0000 Issue 14393 - "BLANK" DIGEST MESSAGE ATTACHMENTS

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com>.
On 9/6/2022 6:00 PM, Terence M. Bandoian wrote:
> [...]
> mentioned above. I got around this by (re)subscribing to both users
> and users-digest. This may be why you found my e-mail address listed
> twice as a subscriber.
>
> What isn't clear is whether a subscription to the list in the
> non-digest form is now required to send messages to the list. (I was
> previously subscribed to the digest only and had been able to send
> messages to the list.) I should be able to test this without too much
> trouble.
>
> Second, some attachments in the digest are still not displayed in
> Thunderbird (shown as blank).I previously mistakenly reported that
> some digest attachments were not displayed in gmail but that looks to
> have been due to operator error as I'm now able to see attachments in
> gmail including those shown as blank in Thunderbird.
>
> I'll keep looking at this and report back to the list if I learn

>>> 275526 by: Thomas Meyer
>>> 275527 by: Mohan T
>>>
>>> Administrivia:

It looks like there's something going on with the CRLF sequence that
should separate the header section from the body in digest attachments.
However, it's difficult to tell where it's happening.

 From RFC 5322:

Posted by "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.