Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com> on 2021/04/14 04:42:08 UTC

[PSA] Please read: PR builder now runs test and build in your forked repository

Hi all,

After https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/32092 merged, now we run the
GitHub Actions
workflows in your forked repository.

In short, please see this example HyukjinKwon#34
<https://github.com/HyukjinKwon/spark/pull/34>

   1. You create a PR and your repository triggers the workflow. Your PR
   uses the resources allocated to you for testing.
   2. Apache Spark repository finds your workflow, and links it in a
   comment in your PR

Please let me know if you guys find any weird behaviour related to this.

*What does that mean to contributors?*

Please sync your branch to the latest master branch in Apache Spark in
order for the main repository to run the workflow and detect it.

*What does that mean to committers?*

Now, GitHub Actions will show a green even when GitHub Actions builds are
running (in contributor's forked repository). Please check the build
notified by github-actions bot before merging it.
There would be a followup work to reflect the status of the forked
repository's build to
the status of PR.

Re: [PSA] Please read: PR builder now runs test and build in your forked repository

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Currently only the PR author can retrigger the workflow run to test the PR.
It's impossible for other people, even committers, to re-run
the tests in PRs because the workflow runs in the forked repository. So we
should ask the authors to retrigger the tests.
Thanks Dongjoon for pointing this out.

I have two suggestions for that but I need some help:

1. One idea (thanks Gengliang) is for GitHub Actions workflows to check the
comments in PR, and automatically retrigger the runs in the forked
repository.
    I managed to come up with how to implement this, and described it at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-35157.

2. I think it will take a while to implement 1, approach . For the time
being, we should probably at least add more words at here
<https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/.github/workflows/notify_test_workflow.yml#L110>
saying
the authors something
    like they have to fix the changes and/or retrigger the workflow if it
fails, which will be shown here:
    [image: Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 10.04.05 AM.png]
    I filed a JIRA for that here:

I will be unavailable for a few weeks because of a bunch of work being
delayed .. It would be great if someone who's interested in GitHub Actions
takes a stab for it.

Thank you guys!

2021년 4월 18일 (일) 오전 11:35, Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>님이 작성:

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.
The PR is ready for a review now: https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/32193
.

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kent Yao <ya...@gmail.com>.

![](cid:97D32F3B-2992-4D72-9089-F815E73E9171@mailmaster)

![](cid:E23E401C-C6BE-4A7C-A44F-C5945C26E7A2@mailmaster)

#

<[yaooqinn@gmail.com](mailto:yaooqinn@gmail.com)>님이 작성:

<[gurwls223@gmail.com](mailto:gurwls223@gmail.com)>님이 작성:

<[dongjoon.hyun@gmail.com](mailto:dongjoon.hyun@gmail.com)>님이 작성:

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kent Yao <ya...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Hyukjin and Yikun,

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Kent.

Posted by Kent Yao <ya...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com>.
Thank you again, Hyukjin.

Posted by Kent Yao <ya...@gmail.com>.
Cool, thanks!

Re: [PSA] Please read: PR builder now runs test and build in your forked repository

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.
Good point! I had to clarify.

Posted by Kent Yao <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hi Hyukjin,