Posted to user@oozie.apache.org by mp...@gmail.com on 2014/04/08 20:38:10 UTC

Hadoop 2 and Oozie 4.0 - why still reference to jobTracker?

I am in the processing of moving to Hadoop 2 and have Oozie 4.0 installed.

>From the Oozie 4.0 docs, the Oozie workflow.xml doc still wants
"jobTracker" defined.  But hasn't the concept of Job Tracker been removed
from Hadoop 2 in favor of Resource Manager and Application Master?

Two questions:
- why has "jobTracker" been retained in Oozie 4.0?  will it eventually go
away?
- what is the oozie "jobTracker" variable supposed to point to in a Hadoop
2 cluster?

Thanks,
Michael

Re: Hadoop 2 and Oozie 4.0 - why still reference to jobTracker?

Posted by Robert Kanter <rk...@cloudera.com>.
Hi,

You can put the ResourceManager's address in place of the JobTracker (this
actually works in Oozie 3 as well).  I had created
OOZIE-1508<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OOZIE-1508> to
better document this.

Another thing that we could do to make it more clear is to add a new schema
version for each action to allow either a <job-tracker> or a
<resource-manager> (though Oozie would still treat them the same, so it
wouldn't really matter which one you used).

I imagine that in the long run, we'll drop support for Hadoop 1.x, in which
case newer schema versions wouldn't allow <job-tracker> at all.