Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by "Srikanth P. Shreenivas" <Sr...@mindtree.com> on 2011/07/20 16:00:28 UTC

Hbase row key size - can we use big row keys

Hi,

We are trying to design a HBase table, and we seem to be tending towards packing 3 fields into our row key, as we need to be able to do random access using these 3 fields.
The row key is turning out to be around 93 characters in size.

Is it okay to use a 100 character long row keys?  It will be great if you can share your experience/views of any problems we may run into if we do this.

Regards,
Srikanth

________________________________

Re: Hbase row key size - can we use big row keys

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 7:00 AM, Srikanth P. Shreenivas
<Sr...@mindtree.com> wrote:
> We are trying to design a HBase table, and we seem to be tending towards packing 3 fields into our row key, as we need to be able to do random access using these 3 fields.
> The row key is turning out to be around 93 characters in size.

Thats not too bad.

You can end up using lots of ram if you then have very small cells.
This section in the book is pretty good on the issues:
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#keysize

St.Ack