Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Ha�l Lorande <ha...@iname.com> on 1999/09/30 06:59:03 UTC

os-windows/5143: after installing 1.3.9 over 1.3.6 the server doesn't work and the links do not either.

>Number:         5143
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       after installing 1.3.9 over 1.3.6 the server doesn't work and the links do not either.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I've been successfully running version 1.3.6 on my NT workstation.  I downloaded and installed version 1.3.9 over 1.3.6 and to my dismay, the install program created several new links in the start menu entry for apache that didn't work, and also caused apache server not to work when it was started as a service manually.  It coudln't even be "installed" as a service becuase the new link to "install apache as NT service" pointed instead to "My computer" and had none of the extra -d "E:\Program Files..." stuff that the previous "install as service" links did.  On top of that, Apache wouldn't even function unless it was run as a console app from the dos prompt.  Unless the version/install package I downloaded got somehow corrupted (I downloaded it again to make sure) then someone made a serious error in the install package/program for the apache NT version 1.3.9.  I also tried uninstalling all the apache components and just installing 1.3.9. this produced the same results.  I'm now back on 1.3.6 till this serious bug gets worked out.  I'm guessing you guys probably have been swamped with reports in regards to this issue but I saw no mention of it on you site so I decided to try and speed the fix process by writing in myself.
>How-To-Repeat:
just install apache 1.3.9 over 1.3.6 on an NT workstation. or install it as a standalone and try to get it to install as/run as a service.  The links dont' even work.
>Fix:
fix your install program and double check teh apache exe to make sure its built correctly.
[to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]