Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org> on 2017/04/06 22:58:13 UTC

finally success again on JDK9

Hi all,

So today I finally found out how to run our build on a recent JDK9:
https://scans.gradle.com/s/bawrmwhk5f33m

The part I could really kick myself... and a lot of gradle people for is
the usage of _JAVA_OPTIONS. This is can be used to set JVM arguments to
daemons and the initial forked JVM used by gradle. So I am using

export _JAVA_OPTIONS='-XX:+IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions
--permit-illegal-access'

and org.gradle.jvmargs unset in gradle.properties

The option --permit-illegal-access is new in jigsaw 163 and prevents us
from having to use add-opens for each an every module.  But at the prize
of having a ton of messages like this one:

WARNING: Illegal access by
org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedConstructor$1
(file:/home/blackdrag/coding/groovy/commit/target/classes/main/) to
constructor
java.util.LinkedHashMap$LinkedKeySet(java.util.LinkedHashMap) (permitted
by --permit-illegal-access)

bye Jochen

Re: finally success again on JDK9

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.

On 07.04.2017 04:30, Paul King wrote:
> Good news Jochen!
>
> From what I understand, the --permit-illegal-access option will be gone
> for JDK10+, so we need to keep looking at further restructuring/rework
> at some point down the track. Is that also your understanding? It
> definitely buys us more time though.

We will require a JDK9 based build, because we will require JDK9
specific (but optional) code. So getting the build running under JDK9
again was the first step for me. Next step is for me fixing the failing
tests (though I am unsure there is a replacement for the failing grab tests)

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
Good news Jochen!

From what I understand, the --permit-illegal-access option will be gone for
JDK10+, so we need to keep looking at further restructuring/rework at some
point down the track. Is that also your understanding? It definitely buys
us more time though.

Cheers, Paul.

Posted by Daniel Sun <re...@hotmail.com>.
Glad to hear the good news ;)