Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu> on 2003/06/30 19:30:38 UTC

[math] Supplying new files in patches

After some research done by Phil and I, we've come to the conclusion
that its quite difficult to generate cvs diff patches that add new files
when applied. This is because of a Catch-22 where one would need to do a
'cvs add' prior to 'cvs diff' to capture the new file state in the
/CVS/Entries file. To do this 'cvs add' you need to have commit rights
to the cvs tree, 90% of those individuals providing patches do not have
such commit rights and can't complete the process. There are workarounds
for this, but too complex to be of worth really.

With this in mind, I want everyone to feel entirely free about adding
new files as attachments (compressed or not) in the bug/enhancment
requests. This appears to be the easiest overall solution for both
patcher and patchee.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory