Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Dave Seltzer <ds...@tveyes.com> on 2013/11/19 03:48:46 UTC

Problems bulk adding documents to Solr Cloud in 4.5.1

Hello,

I'm having quite a bit of trouble indexing content in Solr Cloud. I build a
content indexer on top of the REST API designed to index my data quickly.
It was working very well indexing about 100 documents per "<add>"
instruction.

After some tweaking of the schema I switched on a few more servers. Set up
a few shards and started indexing data. Everything was working perfectly,
but as soon as I switched to "Cloud" I started getting
RemoteServerExceptions "Illegal to have multiple roots."

I'm using the stock Jetty container on both servers.

To get things working I reduced the number of documents per add until it
worked. Unfortunately that has limited me to adding a single document per
add - which is quite slow.

I'm fairly sure it's not the size of the HTTP post because things were
working just fine until I moved over to Solr Cloud.

Does anyone have any information about this problem? It sounds a lot like
Sai Gadde's https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-5402

Thanks so much!

-Dave

Re: Problems bulk adding documents to Solr Cloud in 4.5.1

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
4.6 no longer uses XML to send requests between nodes. It’s probably worth trying it and seeing if there is still a problem. Here is the RC we are voting on today: http://people.apache.org/~simonw/staging_area/lucene-solr-4.6.0-RC4-rev1543363/

Otherwise, I do plan on looking into this issue soon.

- Mark