Posted to dev@pirk.apache.org by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@apache.org> on 2016/10/03 13:09:55 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Pirk 0.2.0-incubating Release

Hi Guys,

This is the vote for the 0.2.0-incubating (source only) release of Apache
Pirk (incubating).

The vote will run for at least 72 hours and will close on Thursday, October
6. If it passes, it will be submitted to general@ for Apache Incubator
voting.

The artifacts can be downloaded here:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/pirk/0.2.0-incubating/

or from the Maven staging repo here:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachepirk-1006

All JIRAs completed for this release can be viewed here:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?
projectId=12320320&version=12338108

The artifacts have been signed with key : 1FD8849B

Please vote accordingly:

[ ] +1, accept RC as the official 0.2.0-incubating release
[ ] -1, do not accept RC as the official 0.2.0-incubating release because...

Thanks!

Re: [VOTE] Apache Pirk 0.2.0-incubating Release

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
(Request from an over-saturated inbox...)

Can we modify the release vote email template includes a "release
candidate X" phrase (or just RCx)? My brain did a couple of backflips
trying to figure out what the state of 0.2.0-incubating was :)

Thanks in advance..

Posted by Walter Ray-Dulany <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

* Both download locations identical on all files
* zip has correct sigs.
* code builds, passes build tests.
* hdfs tests pass.

Posted by Jacob Wilder <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Checked:

   - javadocs :)
   - signature, hash, checksum in both repos
   - built from source, tests pass

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 9:09 AM, Ellison Anne Williams <eawilliams@apache.org

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Tim Ellison wrote:
> On 06/10/16 05:02, Josh Elser wrote:
>>
>> Things to look into for next release:
>>
>> * apache-pirk-0.2.0-incubating.jar appears to have way too many LICENSE
>> entries (the MIT/BSD licensed stuff doesn't appear to be included).
>> Seems like they were meant for the -exe.jar. Probably just
>> maven-jar-plugin being a little over-aggressive :)
>
> Yeah, the license entries in the built apache-pirk-0.2.0-incubating.jar
> come from
> apache-pirk-0.2.0-incubating/src/main/resources/META-INF/bin-license-notice/
> in the release.
>
> The licenses were placed there to avoid confusion in the source release.
>   There are plans for how to address the licenses in the binaries (see
> below).

If the refactoring doesn't make it into 0.2.0, it might be good to move
those files to something that isn't put into the source-jar. Don't need
to create more confusion over licensing. Either way, not a huge deal
until graduation is a topic of discussion. I'm sure it will be worked
out in the end :)

>> Assorted other thoughts:
>>
>> For 0.1.0, I remember that there were some JARs also staged, but it
>> doesn't look like these ever made it to Maven Central. Are there any
>> plans to do this? Not having these JARs in Central may become an
>> impediment to adoption.
>
> You will recall that there were a number of problems in getting the
> licenses and notice files correct for these binary releases; and the
> work to fix it would be "wasted" as the code gets restructured into
> Maven modules which handle the l&n files better.
>
> So for the moment, we agreed to only release the source zip, and delay
> distributing convenience binaries until after the restructuring.  DarinJ
> has put forward a proposed rework that is looking good.

Yup, I do recall that there was an original attempt at publishing JARs.
Mostly a prod at helping to ease adoption (help get more people
involved) in the future :). I did forget that there was some refactoring
work in the pipeline.

Posted by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@apache.org>.
Good point - I will add those instructions to the website so that we can do
that from now on.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
A minor observation.

Posted by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@apache.org>.
Hi Guys,

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
On 06/10/16 05:02, Josh Elser wrote:
> +1 (binding)
>
> * L&N good
> * xsums/sigs OK
> * mvn apache-rat:check passes
> * can build from source
>
> Things to look into for next release:
>
> * apache-pirk-0.2.0-incubating.jar appears to have way too many LICENSE
> entries (the MIT/BSD licensed stuff doesn't appear to be included).
> Seems like they were meant for the -exe.jar. Probably just
> maven-jar-plugin being a little over-aggressive :)

Yeah, the license entries in the built apache-pirk-0.2.0-incubating.jar
come from
apache-pirk-0.2.0-incubating/src/main/resources/META-INF/bin-license-notice/
in the release.

The licenses were placed there to avoid confusion in the source release.
 There are plans for how to address the licenses in the binaries (see
below).

> Assorted other thoughts:
>
> For 0.1.0, I remember that there were some JARs also staged, but it
> doesn't look like these ever made it to Maven Central. Are there any
> plans to do this? Not having these JARs in Central may become an
> impediment to adoption.

You will recall that there were a number of problems in getting the
licenses and notice files correct for these binary releases; and the
work to fix it would be "wasted" as the code gets restructured into
Maven modules which handle the l&n files better.

So for the moment, we agreed to only release the source zip, and delay
distributing convenience binaries until after the restructuring.  DarinJ
has put forward a proposed rework that is looking good.

> Reminded me of some docs that I pushed earlier this week specifically
> around this[1]. Having a shaded jars with all the deps is great, as well
> as just the Pirk codebase. One thing that is good to enable people to do
> is to create their own shaded artifact with versions of dependencies
> they want (e.g. Hadoop-2.7.1 instead of 2.7.3).

Yep, the plan is to get there.  As you say, the docs look useful for
those looking to tweak the dependency versions.

> Finally:
>
> I'm also super happy to see an 0.2.0 release without a bit of pestering.
> Great work! :)

+1

Regards,
Tim