Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "K.C. Jones" <kj...@phoenix-pop.com> on 2000/03/17 19:43:46 UTC

Configuration Info Suggestion

Respectful Suggestion from a Newbie:

Information about cocoon release/configuration management
could be more visible on the cocoon web site.

The information on "system requirements" and "required
components" found on the install page
(http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/install.html) would be more
effective if it were added to the front page
(http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/index.html), where it says:

  Where do I get it?

  Here is the <a>download area</a>.

Alternatively, a README.FIRST file in the download directory
would be effective.

By the time I had visited the install page, I had already
downloaded and installed all the other Apache XML components
that appeared to be needed.  Oops.

RTFM you could say.  And you'd be right.  But I say
capitalize on your good work and make the info available
where and when it is most needed.

Information about other working configurations would be
nice.  But it may just be too volatile to document.  Semi
real-time announcements that I see here on this list might
be best way to find info on "non-standard" configurations.
If so, a note to that effect on the site might be good.

Cheers,
KC

Re: Configuration Info Suggestion

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
"K.C. Jones" wrote:

> Respectful Suggestion from a Newbie:
>
> Information about cocoon release/configuration management
> could be more visible on the cocoon web site.
>
> The information on "system requirements" and "required
> components" found on the install page
> (http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/install.html) would be more
> effective if it were added to the front page
> (http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/index.html), where it says:
>
>   Where do I get it?
>
>   Here is the <a>download area</a>.
>
> Alternatively, a README.FIRST file in the download directory
> would be effective.
>
> By the time I had visited the install page, I had already
> downloaded and installed all the other Apache XML components
> that appeared to be needed.  Oops.
>
> RTFM you could say.  And you'd be right.  But I say
> capitalize on your good work and make the info available
> where and when it is most needed.
>
> Information about other working configurations would be
> nice.  But it may just be too volatile to document.  Semi
> real-time announcements that I see here on this list might
> be best way to find info on "non-standard" configurations.
> If so, a note to that effect on the site might be good.

Makes sense.

Will add a better description in that section.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.