Posted to dev@edgent.apache.org by William Marshall <wc...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/05 22:49:09 UTC

Asking technical questions

The way we've been operating up to now, non-technical question have been
asked on the dev@quarks mailing list ("Why aren't the pull requests
merged?"), and technical questions have been asked on Jira.

Unfortunately, there isn't a "Question" Issue Type on Jira:
[image: Inline image 1]

It feels odd to create an issue as a Wish or an Improvement. When I click
the question mark next the "Issue Type" it shows me that there should be an
option for question:
[image: Inline image 3]

Does anyone know how to enable this? I might not have permission.

-Will

Re: Asking technical questions

Posted by Dan Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.
> On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 1:59 PM, Katherine Marsden <km...@apache.org> wrote:

> > On 4/5/2016 1:49 PM, William Marshall wrote:
>
>>  The way we've been operating up to now, non-technical question have
>>  been asked on the dev@quarks mailing list ("Why aren't the pull
>>  requests merged?"), and technical questions have been asked on Jira.
>
> I think it is well and good to send technical questions to the dev list.

Agreed, but it's not what the Get Involved page says about the dev list:

"is for people who want to contribute code to Quarks."

Dan.

Re: Asking technical questions

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

> I think it is well and good to send technical questions to the dev list.

Some project have a dev and user lists. Given there is only a dev list then it would be the right place to ask those sort of questions. If the user traffic on the dev list get high we can create a user list. IMO It’s often best to start out with one list as users often become developer by being involved in the list.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Asking technical questions

Posted by Katherine Marsden <km...@apache.org>.