Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Roger Lipscombe <ro...@1e.com> on 2006/06/13 08:25:30 UTC

Backing up repository

Hi,

Currently, we're using hot-backup.py on Windows to snapshot our
repository before backing it up. Two questions:

1.	It doesn't seem to be paying any attention to the part where
it's supposed to keep only the last N snapshots. This is causing our IT
bods a bit of grief, because the snapshot directory is filling up. Has
anyone seen this behaviour, or have any suggestions for fixing it?
2.	Do I need to use it at all? Can I backup a FSFS repository while
it's being used? Could we just stop Apache while the backup job's
running, and restart it again in the morning?

Regards,

Roger.

This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in delivery. NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind 1E Ltd to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose.

Re: Backing up repository

Posted by Roel Schroeven <rs...@fastmail.fm>.
Roger Lipscombe schreef:
> Hi,
>

> Currently, we’re using hot-backup.py on Windows to snapshot our
> repository before backing it up. Two questions:
>
>    2. Do I need to use it at all? Can I backup a FSFS repository while
>       it’s being used? Could we just stop Apache while the backup job’s
>       running, and restart it again in the morning?

I thought the recommended way to backup the repository is with svnadmin
hotcopy. That's what hot-backup.py uses internally too.

A disadvantage of that approach is that file modification times are
different each time, even for files that haven't changed. That means
that dirvish (which I use for remote backups) creates new files instead
of hard linking to the existing file.

Roel Schroeven

Re: Backing up repository

Posted by Miha Vitorovic <mv...@nil.si>.
"Roger Lipscombe" <ro...@1e.com> wrote on 13.06.2006 10:25:30:

> Hi,
>
> Currently, we’re using hot-backup.py on Windows to snapshot our
> repository before backing it up. Two questions:
>
> 2. Do I need to use it at all? Can I backup a FSFS repository while
> it’s being used? Could we just stop Apache while the backup job’s
> running, and restart it again in the morning?

AFAIK, if you simply copy over te FSFS repository while the server is
active and there is a commit in progress, the only thing that may not make
it into the copy is this last commit, but it does not make the repository
backup unusable/corrupt.

If you do your backups at night and you are sure that nobody is using the
repository at the time, there is no need to shut down Apache - I think it
only accesses the repository if it is serving a request.

I backup my server by dumping the repository during the night, and I never
stop Apache while doing it. I never had a problem with backups/dumps
because of it.

Regards,
---
  Miha Vitorovic
  Inženir v tehničnem področju
  Customer Support Engineer

   NIL Data Communications,  Tivolska cesta 48,  1000 Ljubljana,  Slovenia
   Phone +386 1 4746 500      Fax +386 1 4746 501     http://www.NIL.si