Posted to dev@corinthia.apache.org by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org> on 2015/07/02 18:36:51 UTC

Re: ODF styles

> On 28 Jun 2015, at 5:39 pm, Ian C <ia...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> When processing ODF styles there are a number of attributes for which
> there are no CSS equivalents. eg font-size-asian
>
> I have not seen a document where this is not equal to the general
> font-size value.
> I plan to put a crosscheck in to confirm this and so when translating
> from CSS to ODF will default the value to be the same.
>
> If there is a difference I guess we can create a -cor-font-size-asian
> property to hold the value.
> This should just be quietly ignored by a browser?
>
> Same thing for any other properties I find that have no equivalent. Seem ok?

Sorry for such a delayed response...

There’s quite a few of these attributes in both OOXML and ODF. What I suggest we do (and what I’ve previously done for OOXML) is to just to ignore these attributes when converting to HTML. With bidirectional transformation, the update process is supposed to only touch parts of the document that have actually been changed. If a font-size-asian attribute is present it will remain unchanged.

Personally I don’t understand why this particular attribute is in either spec; it seems pointless as I would expect if one wanted a different font size for certain characters then a better way would be to have spans that wrap the relevant characters, and only have a single “font size” attribute. I’d be interested to know the origin of this attribute - I can’t think of why it’s needed, but presumably there’s a story behind it.

To see how it’s handled for OOXML, have a look at the WordPutRPr function in WordRPr.c (towards the end of the function where it deals with the font-size CSS attribute). Word documents have a normal font size and a “complex script” font size. The code here checks to see if the font-size from the HTML/CSS file differs from what was previously there, and if so, it sets both attributes to the same value. The same is done when creating a new document. If the font size was previously specified and is no longer set (i.e. the CSS property has been removed), then both the normal and complex script font size attributes are cleared.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org